Non-geographic numbers using VM?

Options
BarGin
BarGin Posts: 952 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I've looked at the Callchecker and tried searching but can't seem to find the answer. Can somebody please tell me the cheapest way of calling 0845, 0870, and 0844 numbers from my Virginmedia phone line?

Comments

• utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2009 at 12:11PM
    Options
    For 0845/0870 and http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
    using their 0808 Freephone Number.

Their is no workaround for 0844 numbers i know of,you have to pay their exorbitant rates.
  • BarGin
    BarGin Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for the swift reply.
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Ofcom has introduced new rules for 0870 calls that come into effect from 1 August 2009. These are designed to encourage communications providers to charge 0870 calls at the same rate as calls to geographic number rates (01, 02 or 03 numbers) i.e. charged at the same pence-per-minute rates and included in communications providers’ call packages price plans on the same basis as geographic calls.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Options
    If you are a regular 0844/0871 caller, the The Phone Co-Op's cable user service is an excellent work around.

They charge the BT per-minute prices for 0844 and 0871 numbers and do not have a connection fee.

Their Caller-Plus tariff only has a minimum charge of 1p+VAT - especially useful when using callthrough services when the number may be engaged - you don't waste as much money.

You keep the Virgin line and virgin line rental and dial an access code to call via the phone co-op. Calls billed by the second. Free itemised billing.
    Do you offer a calls service to cable users?
    Yes we do. The access code is an 11 digit 0800 number and the calls cost the same as over non-cable lines. Cable customers cannot use the automated access or cost centre billing services but we recommend that you programme the prefix into a memory button on your handset.

http://www.thephone.coop/residential/phone_calls.html
  • kotka4
    kotka4 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    WARNING: Using non-geographical numbers for international calls on Virgin phoneline.

I made a number of calls via 0844 200 **** number, which was supposed to have cost 0.5p per minute. On arrival of my VM bill, it was charged at 3p per minute! They have some special rates published for non-geographical numbers, which you should check before making a call, as you may end up paying 6 times the cost like I did.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I thought people might find it useful.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    kotka4 wrote: »
    WARNING: Using non-geographical numbers for international calls on Virgin phoneline.

I made a number of calls via 0844 200 **** number, which was supposed to have cost 0.5p per minute. On arrival of my VM bill, it was charged at 3p per minute! They have some special rates published for non-geographical numbers, which you should check before making a call, as you may end up paying 6 times the cost like I did.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I thought people might find it useful.

If you look on the cheap call providers sites your normally see 0.5p is only from a BT Line. Other providers can charge more and VM have done so for a while now.
  • treadders
    Options
    spread the word saynoto0870.com/ this site normally gives some excellent alternatives, good luck
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    treadders wrote: »
    spread the word saynoto0870.com/ this site normally gives some excellent alternatives, good luck

But not for 0844/0871 International access numbers, which is is a legitimate use of 0844/0871.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure