Full time job - Full time student

Options
Hi,

I'm unsure about what tax I may or may not be exempt from paying.

I am British, but I had not lived in the UK for 10 years when I returned here to begin a full time MA in September 09.

As I was really struggling financially, I took a full time job in February (working in care, pays £7.50 per hour/39 hours a week).

A colleague mentioned that as I was a full time student, I might be entitled to certain tax exemptions. She also seemed to think that I do not have to pay National Insurance whilst I am a full time student.

Also, as I only worked for about 5 weeks in the April 09-april 10 tax year, and was taxed on that. She seemed to think that I would be entitled to get that money back. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Finally, as I spent the past 10 years in Poland, I did not qualify for UK fees at the university. I was considered resident in Poland and had to pay EU fees and this was also the case when I applied for a bank account (I had to have an international bank account). So, I was wondering if I am considered resident in Poland (and I have full Polish residence papers) and am not entitled to any of the benefits the UK students are entitled to, is it inconceivable that I should also be exempt from taxes?

I would like to hear your opinions.

Siasu.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    siasu wrote: »
    A colleague mentioned that as I was a full time student, I might be entitled to certain tax exemptions.
    It is a myth that students don't have to pay income tax. EVERYONE pays income tax once their income goes above the personal allowance. IF a student is only working during vacations AND their earnings from this aren't going to exceed the personal allowance, THEN there is a form which the employer can complete to enable payment to be made gross.
    She also seemed to think that I do not have to pay National Insurance whilst I am a full time student.
    Also a myth. You pay NI if your wages go above the Lower Earnings Limit, which was about £100 per week. This is non-refundable, even if your average earnings over the tax year don't go anywhere near that limit: if your earnings in one week or month DO exceed that limit, you pay.
    Also, as I only worked for about 5 weeks in the April 09-april 10 tax year, and was taxed on that. She seemed to think that I would be entitled to get that money back. Does anyone know if this is correct?
    We've only just entered the 09-10 tax year, but assuming you are referring to the 08-09 tax year then you may well be entitled to a tax refund. Phone your local HMRC office for advice. If you are still working, then you'll probably get this back via an adjustment to the tax code on your present earnings - what is your tax code now?

Did you give in a P46 at the start of this employment? Without it, the chances of an employer getting your tax right are minimal.
    Finally, as I spent the past 10 years in Poland, I did not qualify for UK fees at the university. I was considered resident in Poland and had to pay EU fees and this was also the case when I applied for a bank account (I had to have an international bank account). So, I was wondering if I am considered resident in Poland (and I have full Polish residence papers) and am not entitled to any of the benefits the UK students are entitled to, is it inconceivable that I should also be exempt from taxes?
    Unless you are paying tax on your UK earnings in Poland, I think it is inconceivable that you would be exempt from paying tax in the UK. Sorry ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport