TENS machine- any good for period pain?

Options
Does a tens machine give effective pain relief for period pains? DD suffers quite badly and the description for TENS on Boots website state that they can be used this way, but I don't know anyone who's tried one. Are the £14.99 Lloyds Pharmacy ones any good?

Comments

• angelicmary85
    angelicmary85 Posts: 4,977 Forumite
    Options
    You can get tablets for period pain that I found were really effective.
    Started PADdin' 13/04/09 paid £7486.66 - CC free 02/11/10
    Aim for 2011 - pay off car loan £260.00 saved
    Nerd No. 1173! :j
    Made by God...Improved by the The Devil :D
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    OH has got the Lloyds one, or one similar from Lloyds...not for his period pains though :rolleyes:

He uses it on his back and he finds it really helps.

I tried the pads on my arm and the sensation was very strong.

I would see if there is any way she could try it first, possibly not when she is on her period, as you tend to be more susceptible to pain then.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got the Lloyd's one and it's good but I've only used it for back and shoulder pain, might be worth a try on a low setting though.

I always resorted to a hotty bottle and paracetamol _pale_
  • londoner1998
    londoner1998 Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest, the most effective pain relief solution for period pain for me is Iyengar yoga- only yoga method that specifies women need to take of themsleves and rest a lot during those days in order to preserve their energy. Once you learn the sequence you can do it at home every month and I found that since I started practising it, my period pains are a thing of the past (and they used to have me in tears!)- Sometimes I don't even notice it has arrived! for those who practice I highly recommend they learn the sequence. The recovery post-period is much quicker too and the periods don't last as long.
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I think it may be worth getting the £14.99 tens machine from Lloyds just to try it as she's pretty desperate. She's been warned to avoid ibuprofen or aspirin while she's taking the epilepsy medication (which she's on for life) so she's limited to paracetamol or codeine, but she takes these for her twice-weekly migraines (and codeine can be addictive) so she's reluctant to take more medication. She's used hot water bottles in the past, but she's so incredibly hot all the time since starting the epilepsy drugs that this isn't an option any more.

I'm still laughing at Whatatwit's answer - What exactly does Mr Whatatwit use for his period pains, then?
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    I have tried TENS before and found it useful but to be honest the best thing I have found for period pain (and this was suggested to me by a nurse years ago) is an orgasm!!!!!! The spasms and cramps are relaxed by the climax and then you have the endorphines that kick in afterwards which is the body's own feel good.

I also find hot baths and hot water bottles useful plus pain killers. Also reflexology on my hands a few years ago by a reflexology student was brilliant for easing the cramps.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I use the Lloyds TENS on foul months. The electrodes go on the bit of the lower back where the triangle of the pelvis starts. Setting G or H at minimum at first - it can be turned up in intensity of necessary. It's a bit like being flicked in the lower back - not unpleasant, just unusual.

It may make flow a bit heavier for some reason, but it's over about a day quicker for me as well when I use it.

It beats using more medication, anyway.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    myrnahaz wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I think it may be worth getting the £14.99 tens machine from Lloyds just to try it as she's pretty desperate. She's been warned to avoid ibuprofen or aspirin while she's taking the epilepsy medication (which she's on for life) so she's limited to paracetamol or codeine, but she takes these for her twice-weekly migraines (and codeine can be addictive) so she's reluctant to take more medication. She's used hot water bottles in the past, but she's so incredibly hot all the time since starting the epilepsy drugs that this isn't an option any more.

I'm still laughing at Whatatwit's answer - What exactly does Mr Whatatwit use for his period pains, then?

Amidst all his other aches and pains....he doesn't notice the period ones :rotfl:

Do check that the TENS machine is suitable for epileptics though.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I swear by my heating pad. When meds won't do for my period pain (I have endometriosis so pain can be BAD!) The heat works well. It might not take it all away but it sure milds the pain for me.
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to suggest Quest agnus castus which I find brill for hormonal balance but it might not be safe with the medication she has to take.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure