can mortgage arrears & home improvement loan & council tax arrears beincluded in IVA?

floris_2
floris_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
are iva's primarily for credit card & loan debt or all types of debt?

i have uncovered approx 20-25k worth of debt my husband has racked up including credit card, mortgage arreas, non payment of council tax and water rates, basically everything you can think of - can they all be included in an IVA or will we lose our home ?
he owes 1.5 k in mortgage arrears, would it be wise to try and pay this off over the next year and reduce other debts as much as possible before trying to arrange an IVA

i have decided to stand by and support him as best as i can (if the above is dealt with and he is honest with me from now on) as i believed in my wedding vows, also living in a bedsit with my poor daughter who is about to start secondary school is not a good prospect - he has shattered our lives, but i am prepared to give him another chance
Debts now: july 4000/
Debt free target date: april 1 2011
Weight now: july 13.3/
weight loss target: july 13 2010
Final Makeup Kit Bits £1000: July 0/
Business Launch target date : 1 sept 2010

Comments

• tuhin23
    tuhin23 Posts: 7 Forumite
    if you enter into an IVA you should be able to save your house. You must quliafy for an IVA first though.

The IVa would include all your credit cards, loans, council tax arrears. They did not include my mortgage arrears as it is secured and allowed me an allowance to catch up with mortgage arrears.

Speak to an IVA company there are loads. I got qoutes from Money Debt and Credit and Baines & Ernst, went with Money Debt as they did not want a fee upfront.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Or try CCCS, Payplan, CAB or National Debtline who will offer free advice in your interests only and won't recommend an IVA if it's not suitable for you. IP's make a lot of money out of them so you need to ensure it's right for you.

Good luck.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • churchrat
    churchrat Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    hi
    as DID says, make sure that you know what you are getting into before you set anyhting up. An IVA is a very seriuos step, and I should advise taking a second, third and fourth opinion before you take it.
    If you are sure that you have all the details of all money owed and household bills why don't you post on the debtfree board??
    There may be other solutions, such as a dmp, before you take out an IVA>

godd luck with all of this.
    chruchrat
    LBM-2003ish
    Owed £61k and £60ish mortgage
    2010 owe £00.00 and £20K mortgage:D
    2011 £9000 mortgage
  • Or try CCCS, Payplan, CAB or National Debtline who will offer free advice in your interests only and won't recommend an IVA if it's not suitable for you. IP's make a lot of money out of them so you need to ensure it's right for you.

Good luck.

ip on an average make between 2500 to 3500 on ip fees superviser and nom fees these days so not as good as 4 yeras ago
    Aqua card - £250 Limit up to date, Jd Williams £150 limit up to date, Argos store card £400 limit up to date, Next £300 limit up to date.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure