Early Easter Holidays?

Options
Our local children are already on their Easter break. It's two weeks before Easter and they go back on the Tuesday or Wednesday afterwards. One advantage is that it adds half a week to the busy summer term, one disadvantage is that going away for the fortnight involves the parents taking nine days holiday instead of eight.
Is this a trend for the future and common in other areas?
Can I help?

Is it a good idea to take the Easter Holiday a week early? 7 votes

Yes, Easter is late this year so it adds time into the busy Summer Term
42% 3 votes
I don't think it makes any difference
14% 1 vote
No, it interferes with family holidays and makes things difficult to plan
42% 3 votes

Comments

• Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    here the kids dont break up til Friday : )
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the 1st day of the Easter hols here too. When the hols first came out I queried it with the school cos it's never happened before. We usually get the 1st week before Easter and the week aftr. Where I am some places are open Good Friday but shut Easter Monday and Tuesday, so you could get the situation where a parent is off the day the kids are back. My sis looked into whether it'd be cheaper to take a hol this week, but it seems the prices still went higher for this week (for wherever she looked).
    our council lists next years hols as well, and I've got the dates of Easter for the next few years bookmarked too, so I'll look and post back if it'll be the same next year.

ETA-No next year school breaks up March 30 and Easter Sunday is April 8th so back to normal. No idea why it's been done this way for this year :confused: .
    Easter 2008 is very early though March 23.
  • Kitikat
    Kitikat Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    My children break up the day before Good Friday and don't return to school until the day after May Day. I don't think that this is common in the local area and I think that it has something to do with them attending catholic school, the school likes the children to be there during Holy Week. I don't even know if this is common in catholic schools, but we are taking advantage and booking a slightly cheaper holiday the last week of April.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    Easter 2008 is very early though March 23.

My daughter will be delighted.....that's her birthday :)

The kids don't break up here until Friday, but my nieces and nephew broke up Last Friday, they live in Scotland, Cumbria and Peterborough. My mum works in a school in Merseyside and they don't break up until this Friday either. I've never known it happen like this before :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure