Help new Railings have rust

Options
had some new balcony railings 18ft long put in, took simply ages to find someone and get my head around it. I was a bit uncomfortable with some of the sloppy bits at joins but now about 3 months later there is rust showing at some spots.

A guy working round the corner had a look yesterday and said he wants £85 to put it right as he reckons 2 joins will give soon, said it would take about an hour and half to put right.

What to do, don't want to have a to do with the original chap, nor do I want me or anyone else to land up in my neighbours garden?
Is it normal to have some rust bits come through when you have new railings put up or would you expect for it to be in tip top condition for longer and will it get worse?. Could I just paint some black nail varnish over the rust? :confused:
Flying Donkeys- Do no harm to others and you will benefit in more ways than one.

Comments

• Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If its just rust its easy to repaint just the rust bits assuming you have the paint or can get it. Just rub down with wire brush, apply metal oxide primer and repaint, should take just over a day to dry, red oxide will dry in no time in this weather

It shouldn't rust if its that new though, I am thinking perhaps he didn't prep it first by using a primer then paint

I be concerned about what that guy said about 2 joints going, if they are weak, then they may need doing properly particularly if its a balcony
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £85 for and hour and halfs work,

I'm sure that there wouldnt be an issue with the original man being asked to come back and fix it. He would probably prefer that you did and then his professional integrity is intact. Why not just give him a ring and ask his advice.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • FlyingDonkeys
    Options
    Thanks McNeff and Anti Spam :beer:- I called him, he's in Cyprus, and asked me if he had left some paint here. I said no and to enjoy his holiday and call me when back as the call would cost him unnecessary money, I'll wait a couple of weeks. Not sure about primer, will get a friend to look as I couldn't tell, but there are a lot of places where bits of rust starting to show. I would have thought he would have done prep as he made them & brought them ready prepped.
    Flying Donkeys- Do no harm to others and you will benefit in more ways than one.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suppose if you have countless, countless railings to prep
    a bit missed is understandable. it must be incredibly boring. Glad you rang him.

I'm still coming to terms with the other mans £85 fr an hour and a halfs work:eek:

Let me have his telephone number so i can ask him if he has any vacancies:rotfl:
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • FlyingDonkeys
    Options
    You are funny. Didn't reply before as a bit futile, he never answered telephone. All feels a bit too much and as if I'll have to find a fierce aggressive man to speak to him! Not going to get anywhere with him myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure