Galvanised steel guttering - extinct?

Options
A couple of 6ft sections of my galvanised steel guttering have rusted through.

It seems possible to buy cast iron (at a cost), aluminium (which can't be joined to steel anyway) or plastic. Steel seems to be completely extinct.

I wouldn't mind used guttering from a reclamation yard, but I've had no luck there either.

Just wondered if anyone knew of a supplier.

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Biggles

I'll move your thread to the 'In my home' board, where it should get more views and replies.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • caleyles
    caleyles Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Biggles - We are putting new galvanized steel gutters up on a council premises tomorrow - its still readily available heres a link for one place though there will be many more this is just an example HTH

http://www.guttersupply.com/m-steel.gstml
    BORN TO RIDE - FORCED TO DRIVE

I wish I'd thought - Before I said what I thought!
    [/B][/COLOR]
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are in the US but look similar to the Swedish firm Lindab, who do sell in this country, but whose guttering doesn't look compatible (different section and 10ft lengths instead of 6ft) with the old steel gutters.

I was just looking to insert a couple of lengths into an existing run.
  • caleyles
    Options
    Sorry about that didn't check the link properly - i will take a look at any labels or markings on the stuff we are fitting and see if there is anything that might help and post it tomorrow night if alls well

[/B][/COLOR]
  • thehairybuilder
    Options
    There`s loads of metal gutters readily available . Check out this link for a builders merchants near you
    http://www.nationalbuyinggroup.com/

Cast iron gutters by http://www.saint-gobain.co.uk/ can be sourced through any of these as can aluminium gutters http://www.alumasc-exteriors.co.uk/

There is also the option of zinc gutters which I`m sure are still available too and cast iron look alike plastic guttering is popular up here in darkes Scotland

In short , pick the merchant nearest you , ask to speak to someone senior , and explain exavtly what you want . They definately should be able to help
    I`m now officially too old to die young
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In short , pick the merchant nearest you , ask to speak to someone senior , and explain exavtly what you want . They definately should be able to help
    Blank looks all round from the nearest merchants. A couple of them gave me a number, for the same firm less than 100 miles away, but when I rang they said they stopped galvanised steel several years ago.

Aluminium can't be joined to steel (reaction causes corrosion). Cast iron probably too heavy, v expensive & may not join to the steel easily, though my need to be considered if I can't get steel.
  • thehairybuilder
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Blank looks all round from the nearest merchants. A couple of them gave me a number, for the same firm less than 100 miles away, but when I rang they said they stopped galvanised steel several years ago.

Aluminium can't be joined to steel (reaction causes corrosion). Cast iron probably too heavy, v expensive & may not join to the steel easily, though my need to be considered if I can't get steel.

*sigh*
    It saddens me when people who should know either don`t know or can`t be bothered to help
    You could try these guys direct
    http://www.cladco.uk.com/fabrications.html
    I know they`re in Glasgow but they will fabricate whatever you need at a crazy low price and quote you a delivery cost to anywhere in GB . I use them often so can vouch for them
    HTH

And no , I`v no personal interest in Cladco whatsoever before anyone grumbles !
    I`m now officially too old to die young
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    *sigh*
    It saddens me when people who should know either don`t know or can`t be bothered to help
    It's don't know, eveyone has genuinely tried to be helpful but without success.

I even tried the dump this afternoon. They don't have steel guttering brought in very often and, when they do, they aren't allowed to sell them, they have to let them go as scrap metal! "New guidelines, Elf n Safety, you know how it is....".
    You could try these guys direct
    http://www.cladco.uk.com/fabrications.html
    That looks promising (I did find one other firm that made bespoke guttering but they took one look at the end cap (photo sent to show dimensions) and said they couldn't do it). I'll give these a try.
  • caleyles
    Options
    Hi Biggles - not much help I know but its Lindab we are fitting on this job and it seems to be commercial sizes they deal with - good luck with the cladco link

[/B][/COLOR]
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    You could join the steel and aluminum, if they are same shape, the two will be isolated with a mastic joint, will they not?

I have made guttering in the past for people, galv, all, stainless.... id think most local sheet metal places would be able to make a couple of bits up, if you can give them an accurate drawing/sample. Depends on the profile, height v width etc as to whether standard tooling would be used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure