We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Minimum Wage - Channel 4 Monday 3rd April

I wasn't sure where to put this on the Forum, I hope this is OK!

Morgan Spurlock (the bloke who did "Supersize Me") has a show on Channel 4 tonight at 11.05 PM. He and his girlfriend will attempt to live for 30 days on minimum wage (US dollars).

Posters on a US forum have already seen this and they weren't impressed, said all he did was live up to the stereotype that poor people are too stupid to spend their money wisely. I haven't seen the show at all so I'll keep an open mind.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I thought some MSEers might find the show interesting. Please don't shout at me if it's rubbish! :o

Comments

  • I saw it when it was first shown on more4. It is quite good and he really does try to give it his best shot. I would say that it is more political rather than full of money saving ideas but it is worth a watch. His girlfriend clearly loves him as she is putting up with (or should I say without) an awful lot considering she is pregnant.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Anyone remember when Matthew Paris tried to live on unemployment benefit sometime back in the eighties?

    He was a conservative MP at the time,and if I remember rightly he had to concede that it wasn't enough to live on-exist maybe,but not live.
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I think this is the best one of the series, it is incredible how they have to manage on such a limited budget, they are starting without anything though.
    As FirstClassMale states, it is a more political statement though than a money saving one.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Ooo.. I'll be tuning in!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

    ::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

    Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Remember the minimum wage is much lower in real terms in the US than over here and health care costs big time and this was evident and played havock with their budgets as the programme went on. I too watched this when it first came out and one of the things that I think the programme highlighted is that living on such a low income and doing min wage work and long hours means you don't always have the opportunities open to you or the time and energy to make the wisest choices when spending your money.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I managed to live on income suppport a while back, and it is possible, but it suits the government for people to say it is impossible or difficult. It is a time consuming task after all, but then if you are out of work you usually have a bit of time on your hands. I told someone at the dss how little i spent on food a week for me and 3 kids and they did not believe me.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The thing these short term living programs just do not cover is the long term expenditure things. If ALL of your low income was available to spend THIS WEEK life would be fine.

    But sooner or later my washing machine is going to need a repair or replacing, or my cooker or any one of lots of things in the house, not to mention shoes getting holes in, overcoat...

    ..and I can do without a beer or a film or a meal out for a month; or even several; but long term I'd rather not.

    So some portion of my income has to be set aside to create a buffer or safety net and just to allow, once in a little while, a taste of life :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.