60K and the best place for it with highest interest

Options
Hi, i have 60k that is savings, I have a A&L fixed 5 year mortgage which has only just been taken out so i cant pay my mortgage off with it yet. Where is the best place other than my tesco account to earn a little bit of interest. Also as my wife is at home looking after our youngest shes not earning a wage, would it be best to ptu them money in her tesco account as she has signed a r85 form and not paying any income tax thereby saving us alittle extra.

thanks
Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!

Comments

• kiboy6
    kiboy6 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    If you are happy to lock your money away for a year or two there are fixed bonds available that will pay over 4% interest right now.

However, if you need the option of accessing your money, then just over 3% is the best you can hope for right now. The investec high5 account is one of the best bets. It guarantees you the average interest rate of the top 5 savings accounts at any given time. Lots of positive things written about it on this forum.

If you are interested in opening one of them PM me - they have a refferral scheme whereby we'll both get a 50 pound reward for you opening it up. :)
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the best simple account at the moment is Birmingham Midshires Telephone Extra account paying 3.15%. However, you ought to both maximise your ISA's first, then put the remainder in this account or seek a out a bond.
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Stolt,
    Don't forget that you can open trustee A/C's in your child's name and get most of the interest tax free. There is a thread on the subject.
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the replies, locking the money away for a year or two is definatley something that we can do.
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Options
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    Stolt,
    Don't forget that you can open trustee A/C's in your child's name and get most of the interest tax free. There is a thread on the subject.

hi, is it something that you can do then withdraw it back into your bank account at a later date as i will need the money to pay the mortgage off in 5 years or so.
  • musehead
    musehead Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stolt wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, locking the money away for a year or two is definatley something that we can do.

I'd say don't lock it up for more than 1 year, because the rates could be substantially better by then.
  • littlemrtinkle
    Options
    rumours of a newcastle bs 5 % fixed isa for 5 years may be a good bet
    Mortgage Start jun 2007 £88500 Outstanding Balance £51000
    Overpayments 2007 Nil 2008 £1040 2009 £7853 2010 £10000 2011 aiming for £18000 (6k so far)
    The Early Bird Gets the Worm, but the Second Mouse Gets the Cheese!!
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stolt wrote: »
    hi, is it something that you can do then withdraw it back into your bank account at a later date as i will need the money to pay the mortgage off in 5 years or so.

The thread is currently on page 5. Yes you can move it later.

Take the advice not to lock money away for more than 1 year.
  • D1zzy
    D1zzy Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2009 at 4:42PM
    Options
    You could try the Investec High 5 - which pays an average of the top 5 accounts - so never the best but always reasonable (3% + currently). minimum £25K and 3 months notice to withdraw. If you don't want to go over £50K - open a couple of Lloyds classic with vantage @ 4% as well. I would agree with not fixing for more than 1 year - fixed rates are already beginning slowly to creep up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just been given that same (nice) problem and these are the accounts I chose

newcastle isa 5 years (waiting for that)
    investec high5
    close brothers 3 years at 4.75
    some to ing as that is an easy account for feeding my current account 2.75
    and I put some into northern rock fixed 1 year bond 3.55

all times 2 as dh has the same as me

getting the bits of paper ID together was the worst bit and a bit time consuming but I did all that last night ready for off this morning, as soon as the money came into the current account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure