refused time off work to attend an interview - what to do?

Options
13»

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 June 2009 at 10:49AM
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    I would take a "sickie", but would also book a doctor's appointment for the same day. You can then go to the interview, and have a back up plan by telling your doctor that you feel terrible (Glandular fever/tonsilitis after effects);)QUOTE]

I would do this too, but maybe not make up an illness, she doesn't have to methinks.

She can tell the doctor that she has been feeling very stressed and tired/ill because of her current employer (which is true). If the doctor offers to sign her off work she can say 'no, not at the moment, I am coping and am looking for another job - but I just needed to talk to someone. I wondered if you have any suggestions to help in the meantime and I felt I should tell you what's going on.' Her GP would want to know about this and will not feel she is wasting their time (I believe many doctors' consultations these days are about stress rather than other illnesses).

I am sure if the job is that bad she probably is showing symptoms of stress at the mo? Tiredness, sleep problems, headaches, irritability...etc, etc.

Then all this will be on her GP's records if the old employer tries to discipline her for the time off - or if it ever goes to a tribunal if things get worse and they dismiss her (bad employers do anything they think they can get away with). The fact she has seen her GP will help her (proof from a third party) in the long run if she has any other problems with this employer. And not letting the GP sign her off will mean she won't jeopardise any potential new job with any recent days of sickness absence.

andygb wrote: »
    Never, ever tell an employer that you are job hunting/going for an interview QUOTE]

Completely agree, it's an absolute no-no. If it clashes with a busy work day then always ask a new employer to rearrange the interview if at all possible (it usually is).

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • herbertthehelper
    Options
    Its her happiness - Best to do whats right for her - I would just pull a sicky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure