refused time off work to attend an interview - what to do?

Options

Comments

• generaloneill
    Options
    Sicky time
  • Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    Sicky time

defo - she should take the risk as it could in all probability make her so much happier in the future if she gets the new job.
  • Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. DD is like me, very straight, she told her manager what she wanted the time off for... he replied saying "NO.... it is very unusual for an employee to let their current employer know they are going for an interview as it is likely they will be treated badly when everyone finds out they are looking for another job." She said she felt that this was a veiled threat.

I suppose I have lead a very sheltered life as I have worked in education for the last 28 years and it is unheard of not to get time off for an interview... it is common for prospective employers to take up references prior to interviewing so most current employers already know anyway!

Regarding taking holiday next week... that would be an excellent idea except for the fact that she has already been told she cannot book any holiday for at least a month as they are short staffed (not suprising really when half their staff walk out within a couple of months -dd has done incredibly well to stick it for 8 months already)! I suggested she rang the prospective job and asked if there was any possibility of interviewing early or late in the day, or moving the interview to next week as her current employers are finding it difficult to cover her shifts and she doesn't want to let them down - I think that sends a good message about her loyalty! I'm waiting to hear from her whether or not that worked!

The problem with going off sick is that she had a fortnight off sick last month (due to severe tonsillitus and suspected glandular fever) and she really doesn't want to risk getting lots of sick leave on her record when she is trying to get another job. Fingers crossed she has managed to sort something out - I'll let you know when I hear. :beer:
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    I hope it all works out for her - nothing worse than feeling trapped in a job that makes you really unhappy.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could she ask them for a telephone interview? (maybe take it during a break? [a long one :p])
  • treguard1982
    Options
    If all else fails, if you are pretty much certain you'd get the job or wouldn't be bothered being let go from your current one, take a sickie. If you were able to *prove* it was legit (even if you lie) and they sack you, you could easily go down the road for unfair dismissal.

Depends on how much you want to gamble, but unless you face redundancy, your current employer isn't under such strict rules to be understanding enough regarding interviews.

Also, especially if you DON'T face redundancy, I wouldn't tell your current employer that you are going for interviews. SERIOUSLY, DON'T!!!! But it's up to you.

Lastly, if they're going to get rid of you, nick a load of stuff for your troubles ;-) or that you could flor and they couldn't trace.

Please note that the above point is for entertainment purposes only and that I don't condone that sort of behaviour.
  • v0id
    v0id Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Tell her to take some Ipecac the night of her shift
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Regardless of the interview situation I think she needs to get something sorted about the shift patterns. I have no idea how she stands legally but she should ask about getting set shifts, by them almost forcing her (rather than requesting) to work at short notice she is effectively on call 7 days a week.

I have a part time contract with set hours but regularly get asked to work extra. If I don't want to (not very often as I'm grateful for the hours but sometimes things have been planned) then I can just say no. On the other hand if they don't have any extra hours going they aren't obliged to give me any. Most of the time it works well as I can plan things in advance.
  • teabelly
    teabelly Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Nenen wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice. DD is like me, very straight, she told her manager what she wanted the time off for... he replied saying "NO.... it is very unusual for an employee to let their current employer know they are going for an interview as it is likely they will be treated badly when everyone finds out they are looking for another job." She said she felt that this was a veiled threat.

Shame she didn't say 'well how would I know because you treat me badly already?!' If really is that sort of place then I bet other employees will be pleased someone is attempting to get out of there and it will start an exodus :)
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If all else fails, if you are pretty much certain you'd get the job or wouldn't be bothered being let go from your current one, take a sickie. If you were able to *prove* it was legit (even if you lie) and they sack you, you could easily go down the road for unfair dismissal.

Depends on how much you want to gamble, but unless you face redundancy, your current employer isn't under such strict rules to be understanding enough regarding interviews.

Also, especially if you DON'T face redundancy, I wouldn't tell your current employer that you are going for interviews. SERIOUSLY, DON'T!!!! But it's up to you.

Lastly, if they're going to get rid of you, nick a load of stuff for your troubles ;-) or that you could flor and they couldn't trace.

Please note that the above point is for entertainment purposes only and that I don't condone that sort of behaviour.

I would take a "sickie", but would also book a doctor's appointment for the same day. You can then go to the interview, and have a back up plan by telling your doctor that you feel terrible (Glandular fever/tonsilitis after effects);)
    Never, ever tell an employer that you are job hunting/going for an interview, particularly in the current climate. A few years ago, I went for an interview, and the prospective employer asked for references before a job offer was made. The result, was that my employer gave a rubbish reference, and made me redundant on my return from holiday, and I was out of a job and could do nothing about it.
    I always use the before or after work approach to interviews, or even a lunchtime, if you think you can get away with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure