can i stop my electric and gas bills whilst abroad

Options
i am off to cyprus for three months, possibly longer if i find a job.can i stop paying my energy supplier (eon) while i am away, or is this somewhere i shouldnt go?

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you paying monthly by direct debit? If so contact your supplier to explain the change in circumstances with a view to revising your payments (or not pay anything at all if they agree). If you can't come to an agreement on what to pay, switch to paying on receipt of bill. If you arn't using any energy, you probably won't be saving anything paying monthly by DD.

If you pay on receipt of bill, make sure you are on a no standing charge tariff and then you'll only be billed for what you have actually consumed (which you will have to pay for)

Ensure the supplier bills you on an actaul basis (get someone to supply meter readings if necessary) else the supplier will estimate your usage and if they are not aware of a change in circumstance will do so based on previous usage history.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi simone

Shouldn't be a problem. As Premier says, just make sure you are not on a tariff with a Standing Charge.

We don't do many Standing Charge tariffs for residential credit customers these days but there are still a couple in existence.

If you are on a tariff without a Standing Charge give us a call when you are about to leave and have turned off all your appliances.

Tell us what is happening and give us the meter readings at this point. Ask for a bill to be issued to these. This can be done whilst you are on the phone.

As long as you pay this in full there will be no follow up whilst you are away.

Generally, bills are issued every quarter so you may well be back before the next one is due.

If you do have a tariff with a Standing Charge I would suggest doing the above but switch to a No Standing Charge tariff whilst you are away. You can always switch back again on your return.

Standing Charge tariffs have a daily charge regardless of whether or not you are using energy. Therefore, you will still be racking up charges whilst in Cyprus.

Also, have you registered with our website?

If you have you can keep a check on your account through this registration wherever you are in the world.

You can also enter meter readings through here. In this way, if you do turn everything off and have no usage you can enter the same reading from Cyprus and produce a zero bill.

If you decide to leave certain appliances on, like fridge freezers or gas pilot lights, you will be using energy.

Should this be the case, do you have someone who can read the meter whilst you are away? If you do, they can tell you the reading and this can be entered online ready for the bill.

This will need paying to stop any follow up. Again, this can be done online.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your time in Cyprus. :wave:

Malc :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lorac3
    lorac3 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    another one trying to get out of paying

This person has been reported ! Ignore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts