Dishwasher-Hot are Cold connection?

Options
Will be getting a new Bosch dishwasher shortly and Bosch reccomend that it is connected to the cold supply as a constant supply of hot water will confuse the wash cycle sensors.
My existing Creda dishwasher has always been connected to the hot supply without any problems.
How have other MSE members connected theirs?

Comments

• FirstClassMale
    Options
    Its the way all wet appliances are going. Our new washing machine is "cold fill" and our Dishwasher is a Smeg and again only has a cold water connection. It makes it simpler to fit and I imagine that the internals dont have to be designed to withstand high temperatures so keeps the manufacturing cost down.

They say they are more energy efficient too as its not necessary to draw in cold water just to cool hot water you have already paid to heat elsewhere.

I would imagine you have a cold water supply for it nearby. If not then it would be a simple case of buying a "Y" piece to make the supply go to both your washing machine and your dishwasher.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How have other MSE members connected theirs?

My bosch is connected to cold only (hot is available). Works fine. I mostly wash on ECO settings, with good results.
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    One problem with hot and cold fill machines is that the long pipe runs from some hot tanks to tap mean that the hot water never actually reaches the machine before it switches off the water needed to start its cycle. In effect, it's already a cold fill only!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours has a cold fill only but it has been connected to the hot supply only for the nine years that we have had it.
    (On the theory that it is cheaper to warm the water with gas than electricity)

No problems yet.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • stluke023
    stluke023 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bosch only have one inlet
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Mr_Warren_2 Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    True, AEG/Bosch only have one cold inlet. Had mine plumbed in for 8 years and you should see the steam coming out after a 65c wash !
  • moneysavingplumber
    Options
    Dishwashers have always been cold-fill only, partly to eliminate any contamination risk to plates and cutlery posed by stored hot water. Of course this seems pointless as those of us that wash-up use stored hot water, but apparently that is the reason behind it, unless my guv'nor was making it up all those years ago!
  • Coolhandluke
    Coolhandluke Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes i relise that this dishwasher only has one connection for cold water as does my Creda so could i not connect the hot supply to this?
    Are am i better sticking to the Bosch recomendations just to keep me right with the guarantee etc?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure