student out of money

Options
Hi all, I'm currently a postgraduate university student with about 12 weeks left of teaching and exams and then the summer for my dissertation. My problem is that i'm out of money. The tuition fees and accomodation were paid off at the beginnning so i don't need to worry about them. But i'm down to my last £100 and living off Asda smart price soup and beans. Does anyone have any money making tips? I don't have time for a job with my coursework load, not until June anyway when i can hopefully make some money to cover the summer.
I've tried to get the bank to increase my overdraft, which they won't. I've asked for a loan which i'm not allowed and have applied for university funds but it'll take four weeks for a decision.
Short of selling my body to medicine - which i'm not really inclined to do - i'm running out of options.

Please help!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Selling your body to medicine.. not that bad an idea, you can earn thousands participating in medical trials... just hope your head doesn't swell up like the guys in the news recently
  • payt20
    payt20 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Im a student, luckily on a paid placement this year. For the other 2 years ive nevr worked ( apart from over the summer ). Or had money off my parents. I have lived through selling stuff on ebay. What old clothes have you got that you dont want? Throw those on, look around your room and believe me anything will sell on ebay! Throw your old cd's on there. Or look in the "grab it while you can" forum etc and see whats cheap in there, then check the ebay prices of that item. You can usually make a profit. The only problem in your case is having the money to buy stuff upfront. Anyway thats what i did to finance myself through my first 2 years.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    universities often pay postgrads to invidulate during exams..... very dull but easy money. try contacting your department.
    can you manage a couple of evenings a week working in a pub? that might help a little, and if you limit the number of nights then it might not interfere too much with work?
    :happyhear
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    When I was at Uni, the pyschology dept often needed people to undertake some simple experiments/ questionaires etc for thier research projects. From what I can remember it paid quite well, cash in hand, on the day. It was quite good, because you were able to take your work with you too.

Other things which I have done, is help on recruitment/ open days etc. Again cash in hand on the day, but not much chance to get uni work done whilst doing it.

Other students have got paid by doing police line ups at the local police station.
  • dani_B
    dani_B Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Medical Research cannot be an option if you have no time for even a part time job.
  • liz24
    liz24 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if it applies to you, but if you're funded you have to be very careful about getting a job as it may be a part of the terms of the funding that you either can't have a paid job or can only work a set number of hours per week.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    check out the old style board for hints and tips on how to eat good, filling nutritious meals for very little money
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • circuit
    circuit Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    have a look at the matched betting threads on the gambling loopholes board. it is NOT gambling, it's a loophole you can exploit to get £10-£25 cash from betting sites without risking your own money in any way. it does take time though. i am using it to pay my £300/month credit card bills.
  • robhammond
    robhammond Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

My other post may be of great use to you...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=179491

Good luck with the Dissertation!

Rob
  • hostie
    hostie Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,
    You could go to the welfare office and ask them to run a fund search for you. I did this and it really helped. I got some money from a trust for Scottish people in London (my partner found this trust for me) and some more from the President's fund which is for graduates from Scottish Universities. My situation was desperate last September and so I spent the first two weeks of term sorting out funding applications. I also got a large sum from the Access to learning fund. I think the fact that I was desperate helped but as another money saver said, they probably have lots of money left over at this time of year that they have to get rid of. That would be a bit quicker than the fund search. As a last resort, when things get really tight for me, I sell books. I only sell the ones I don't want to keep but find that the bookshops do want my non fiction academic books. If you don't know a good bookshop that wants to buy them, just type the ISBN number into Amazon and click sell my copy. If you list a lot of books you should get a few sales quickly. Obviously if you only list a few, it might take a bit longer.
    Hope that helps. :)
    24.06.14 12 st 12 lb (waist 45" at fattest part of belly)
    7.10.14 11 st 9 lb
    26.02.15 12 st 5 1/2 lb
    27.05.15 11 st 5.6 lb
    4.8.17 11 st 1lb
    Target weight: 10 1/2 stone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts