🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Jumped Red Light by mistake!!!! Would I get a fine??

Options
macgyver
macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
Hi there,
I jumped a traffic light while it was red. I dont know what was I thinking!!!! or where was I lost that I didnt notice it and realised as I was crossing it but it was too late then. It was daytime and there was no traffic at that light at that time.
Then later in the evening I went back to see if there were any cameras on that light. I found that there was a small black box (5x5 inches) on the light I jumped and there is another pole just 10yards away from this traffic light where there is pelican crossing and that pole has two what looks like video cameras (5x15inches) pointing in different direction. (1 was pointing towards me). But I didnt see any flash.
So, I was wondering that are these black box (?camera/ video cameras) used for sending penalities for jumping traffic light?
Has anybody been penalised like that?
I am really feeling stupid and bad about it

Many thanks for looking in.
Any answers or comments welcomed.
I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T

Comments

• hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I guess it is possible as it sounds like there are a few 'objects' around the lights that you are unsure what are there for!

The best thing to do is to sit and wait! Dont worry too much - if you get a fine you get one - you will have learnt then! If you dont you will no doubt be relieved!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,806 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would agree with hjb123 - same thing happened to me a few years ago. Inadvertently (honestly) went through a red light and saw a flash in my mirror. A nervous couple of weeks but nothing through the post. Haven't done it since.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    Try not to worry sometimes the cameras are for antisocial behaviour at night etc. Hopefully you have blagged it, fingers crossed.
  • FirstClassMale
    Options
    The 5" x 5" boxes sound too small to be cameras. They are more likely to be pir sensors (just like a domestic security light) which sense traffic approaching at night. These will have a black "lense" which looks like shiny plastic and the will face the oncoming traffic. If the box is larger and it faces into the crossing zone itself then it is likely to be a camera.
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Traffic signal cameras look a bit like GATSO speed (oops, I mean safety) cameras but usually tend to be mounted higher than GATSOs and the camera is usually slimmer .... not much wider than the pole on which it stands. Sometimes they are painted yellow too.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    balsingh wrote:
    Traffic signal cameras look a bit like GATSO speed (oops, I mean safety) cameras but usually tend to be mounted higher than GATSOs and the camera is usually slimmer .... not much wider than the pole on which it stands. Sometimes they are painted yellow too.

Hi there,
    Many thanks for the info. The cameras which I saw were Long brick like structures looking more like video cameras and a wire coming out of them at the back.
    Do u know what these cameras are there for?
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • amateur_saver
    amateur_saver Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They do sound like PIR sensors, so they detect if there is traffic and that controls the lights.... they are too small for speed cameras....
    these ones sound like they look like little cctv cameras, and in that case you would be safe !

A_S xx
    ** Getting back in the swing of saving again.... **

:T :T :T :T :T
    Trying to find the best deals to save as much as we can..........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport