PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I be wary of private sale?

Options

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you spoken to the CAB?

They should be able to give you advice and information about rent back schemes, but also they may be able to help you to find a way through the debt problems.

Apologies if you have already discussed this, as I haven't read your other thread
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 June 2009 at 7:16AM
    Options
    If your not working, then if you sign on to JSA, or IS then after 13 weeks, the goverment would pay the interest on your mortgage at a current rate of 6.5% for up to two years, would this help you to then pay back all your debts, get on the right foot again, and enable you to keep your home?
    Another option if you have equity and havent allready done so, then in the meantime you could prehaps look at taking a mortgage holiday for a while?
    This scheme is differnet to the mortgage rescue scheme.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've read your other thread and I think it's imperative that you try to find another way around this. You have equity and your mortgage is going to be less than any rental payment so in the long term i think it's better that you try to manage the debt than sell your family home and put yourself in an even more insecure position for the long term.

I don't have the advice to ffer but it sounds like other people do so please exhaust every avenue before you sell up.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • homeworkgirl
    homeworkgirl Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, many thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I no longer have internet access at home as unable to pay bill, but a kind friend is letting me use hers.

Found out a few things about the individual who was interested in buying the house which I didn't like so that's gone by the wayside also now.

Also spoke to two more sell and rent back companies who surprisingly both told me that it wouldn't be the best solution for me as in effect I would only be selling for the sake of raising max of £10k to sort out debts and as they are unsecured anyway, then I should be able to get help to manage them. I totally agree but what's the alternative when you have basically run out of money? My benefits are spoken for before they even arrive and I have hardly any money left for food or anything. Equity release would definitely be my solution but I can't get it as they want the mortgage paid off first (£50k) and I can't raise enough to pay that off due to my age.

Basically if I could raise £5k it would get me out of trouble but how can I raise it if I can't get equity release and can't remortgage or afford loan repayments because I am out of work? It's a vicious circle.

And all because my beloved partner died two years ago.
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Renegociate the debt/loan repayments.
    If you write an honest letter outlining your outgoings & income & offer a LOT less (something that you can easily afford, NOT a figure that they suggest) than you are currently paying then the firms should look sympathetically at this arrangement.
    You can offer a lot less than you are paying as the only alternative is the sale of your home which will not raise much extra. Try to avoid an equity release as this will entail increased debt.

Regards,

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • homeworkgirl
    Options
    Nosht wrote: »
    Renegociate the debt/loan repayments.
    If you write an honest letter outlining your outgoings & income & offer a LOT less (something that you can easily afford, NOT a figure that they suggest) than you are currently paying then the firms should look sympathetically at this arrangement.
    You can offer a lot less than you are paying as the only alternative is the sale of your home which will not raise much extra. Try to avoid an equity release as this will entail increased debt.

Regards,

N.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Not sure I understand the bit highlighted in bold though as the sale of my home would raise a lot extra wouldn't it because there is a lot of equity in it?
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Hi sorry to hear about your problems. Was your partner/husband not insured to cover the mortgage if anything happened? I go along with the other posters who suggest trying to pay off your debts and keep your home. Are you working, could you take on more work/ or try to get lodgers. If your near a hospital maybe student nurses if you are worried about strange men in your home. If this was me I would be trying my hardest to hang onto my home as once in private rental you could in effect be moved on. I think you would benefit from taking advice on your current debt problem and how this can be managed. Good luck
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may be eligible for a Debt Management Plan - contact CCCS or Payplan both of which are charitable organisations (free service). Hopefully you have had the same advice plus some moral support on the DFW board, they really are a great bunch over there!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • homeworkgirl
    Options
    You will see from my thread on DFW thatI am getting help from CCCS to try and make my debts manageable rather than sell the house. They have said that because my debts are unsecured ones andI have so much equity in my house, I definitely ought to try and hang on in there even though it's going to be very tough carrying on with such a tight budget. However, my first priority is still for my daughter and I to stay in our family home and I am determined to do everything I can to avoid selling as even if I were lucky enough to be able to stay there as long as I wanted with a Sell and Rent Back Company, I would never truly feel secure and would be worried every 12months whether or not the tenancy would be renewed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport