Boots Protect and Perfect Serum Users..a Question for You.

Options
Bronnie
Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 18 June 2009 at 9:44AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Do you think it makes an difference?

Bought the day and night creams and love them, used them on their own af first and was v pleased with the results in a very short time. Then DD bought the serum for Mother's Day and I used that as well.....sparingly, but twice a day as I thought it was very expensive for the size of the tube. Now nearly at the end of the 2nd lot of serum, (intense one), have been using it twice a day but a little more generously and creams (bought on Buy 2 ,Get 3rd Free).

Very happy with the creams from when they were used without the serum, used Revitalift for years, felt it wasn't working as well and tried Clinique Repairware for a couple of jars worth. Most impressed with P & P for it's firming and moisturising results....my wrinkles aren't as much of an issue as loss of skin tone and sagging.

Just not convinced the serum is making much difference and unsure whether to keep going with it. Pleased with my skin atm, but it has also benefitted from a healthier regime, less alcohol, drinking loads more water and oil-cleansing this year. I'm inclined to stop the serum and just keep using the creams......what do you think of the serum ?

Comments

• esmecullen
    esmecullen Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bronnie

I'm not conviced that the serum works. I bought it when it first came out....... was swayed by all the claims going around. My skin is quite good for my age, I do have a few lines but not very deep. But being a bit vain about my face decided to buy it based on what Boots & No7 were claiming.

Tried it for 5 months, based on usage ... 2 times a day the serum didnt last that long.... maybe approx 3 weeks - 4 weeks at a push.

Cant say I noticed any improvement whatsoever in the time I used it.

My personal view is dont waste you money on it......... I get better results just using my Clinique extra mild soap, clarifying lotion and Dramatically Different moisturiser 2 times a day.

Thats just my view
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial:D
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    not made a huge difference to me - and it doesn't last too long either! saying that i don't have many wrinkles and the intense serum is meant to work on them, so maybe i just don't have the type of skin which will benefit. although it's expensive, it's a lot cheaper that the estee lauder (great skin in a bottle!) serum than i used to use!
    :happyhear
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'm a convert. :) It has made a noticeable difference to my skin. All other variables have been the same (same diet, same water intake, same lack of exercise, lol), so nothing else could really account for the change I saw when I stopped using it.

I used it for ages, along with the day and night cream but ran out of the serum and didn't buy any more. I thought there was no difference at first but within maybe 2/3 weeks, my skin was slightly less bright and fresh looking. It was still soft, thanks to the day & night stuff but there was a difference. I bought more and will probably sell my children if needs be, to pay for future purchases. :rotfl:

I should add, I'm mid forties and not too wrinkly yet but the serum just kinda smoothed things out a bit. Sadly, it didn't give me the face of a 20 year old. :rolleyes::D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • RoseFairy
    RoseFairy Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mum got swayed by the claims too and tried but noticed no difference. she just prefers her 'old' regime of cold cream on a slightly damp (just washed) face!
  • Bronnie
    edited 18 June 2009 at 10:41PM
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Well I'm a convert. :) It has made a noticeable difference to my skin. All other variables have been the same (same diet, same water intake, same lack of exercise, lol), so nothing else could really account for the change I saw when I stopped using it.

I used it for ages, along with the day and night cream but ran out of the serum and didn't buy any more. I thought there was no difference at first but within maybe 2/3 weeks, my skin was slightly less bright and fresh looking. It was still soft, thanks to the day & night stuff but there was a difference. I bought more and will probably sell my children if needs be, to pay for future purchases. :rotfl:

I should add, I'm mid forties and not too wrinkly yet but the serum just kinda smoothed things out a bit. Sadly, it didn't give me the face of a 20 year old. :rolleyes::D

Thanks for your replies.

aliasojo, actually, the one difference I did particularly notice was that my skin looked cleaner/brighter.....don't know how to describe it really.....does "more luminous" sound too ridiculous? However, I had put that down to all the water I'm throwing down atm. have got enough left to get me through my hols...might knock it off for a couple of weeks and observe what happens, whilst keeping the rest of my regime the same.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 18 June 2009 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Ive just it for over a year now and within a couple of months people were saying how good my skin looked. Now I dont know if it was just the serum or the fact I had also decided at long last to have a proper cleanse, tone and then serum and then moisturiser every day. But even my husband who wouldnt normally notice if Id grown an extra head, remarked on how soft my skin was.

I wonder if some ladies who havent seem an improvement arent putting moisturiser on over the top of it? I use the illuminating oil of ulay.

I want to try the new intense one for older skin (!) but Ive got about another 6 months stock of the original one as I bought it when it was on 3 for 2 and when the huge one was half price.
  • Bronnie
    Options
    Well, 3 against and 2 in favour at moment!

Any other opinions, please!
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    Bronnie wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

aliasojo, actually, the one difference I did particularly notice was that my skin looked cleaner/brighter.....don't know how to describe it really.....does "more luminous" sound too ridiculous? However, I had put that down to all the water I'm throwing down atm. have got enough left to get me through my hols...might knock it off for a couple of weeks and observe what happens, whilst keeping the rest of my regime the same.

I know what you mean. :) It's hard to describe what the difference is...I just know there is one. And as I said, it couldn't be down to anything else in my particular case.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • missm29
    missm29 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    I've only used the normal original serum not the new intense one and i think it makes my skin look smoother and softer, i'm just 30 but don't have any lines yet. I noticed a difference when i ran out. Didn't like the moisturiser though, i need something light. I've also used the estee lauder serum nice but very expensive. The clinique one is my favourite but if i can't afford it i will use the no. 7 one. I only usually use the serum in the morning makes its last longer. And use Simple light moisturiser at night if my skin needs it, like to let my skin breath at night find i get spots if i apply products at night. I also think the clinique clarifying lotion makes a difference, but not fussed with the soap or yellow moisturiser.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Oh I dont like the day cream at all, its much too heavy. As I said I put the Ulay illuminating lotion over the serum and that seems to work just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure