The Co-operative legal services for Probate - any good?

Options
My father died recently, and I used the Co-op for the funeral. Since then theie Legal Services section rang me and were very helpful, giving free advice on what to do immediately to cancel various things like pension payments etc. which I thought was very good. Their free advice is defintely worth having!

Now they are trying to sell me their probate service, which to be honest I am not sure about. Has anyone used them before for probate etc.? I am the sole executor, but it is a pretty simple will and estate (no IHT) so I am not sure whether to try doing it myself or not. If they are good value for money I might consider using them, but not if it is not a good service.

Anyone any experience of them?

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's a straightforward estate you could probably do probate yourself. The Probate Office is extremely helpful and doesn't charge anything no matter how many questions and queries you have.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    What are they going to charge you? I would ask them for this in black and white and then ask a few local solicitors. You should get a feel for the service you will get in the replies to these questions.

You can do it yourself. The interview takes a couple of hours and I understand the Grant is currently taking 18 weeks to come back, but speak to a Probate Registry and find out for yourself.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    For a simple estate, getting probate is pretty easy and well within most people's capabilities.
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will have a go at doing it myself, and just revert to the professional route if I get really stuck.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck, it's easier than most people think. Here's the link for the Probate Office guidance notes on doing it yourself http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1173.htm
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Pee
    Options
    I would still check out the costs and the likely timescales of all the options, so that you make an informed choice.
  • localhero
    localhero Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pee wrote:
    The interview takes a couple of hours and I understand the Grant is currently taking 18 weeks to come back,

Not sure which Probate Registry you have used, but the interview usually lasts a few minutes and the Grant of Probate generally follows within 6 weeks.

Good luck OP, Errata is right - it is very straightforward to do it yourself and the Probate Registries welcome applications from the layperson.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not probate, but we used them to write our very complicated wills. It was a fixed price, and they stuck to it, even though it was a lot of work. If I had to use a probate service, I would certainly consider them, but I'd rather not use one at all if I could avoid it.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • Pee
    Options
    It's worth comparing as the fee for a solicitor's application is £40 Probate Court fee and it takes seven working days for the Probate registry to issue.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Pee wrote: »
    It's worth comparing as the fee for a solicitor's application is £40 Probate Court fee and it takes seven working days for the Probate registry to issue.

But that is without any time spent preparing for the application........what's the average hourly fee for a solicitor nowadays?

When we sorted my mother's estate, I think it probably took my brother about 15-20 hours of work in total to get to that stage (again, very simple, no IHT).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure