E-On Electricity meter

Options
malachysdad
malachysdad Posts: 42 Forumite
Trying to help a neighbour sort out her electricity meter, which appears to be eating the electric up. This is what has happened so far, everytime Mrs B charges up £10.00 only £6.00 is registered. Checked with E-ON and they say she has never used the emergency charge, although the meter has registered 2 occasions when it read 0.00 and one occasion 46p. There is no debt on the meter from her or the former tenant. Can anyone suggest why it's only registering £6.00 out of every £10.00 put on it? I am getting the meter codes tomorrow to see if this sheds any light on this but at present E-On can offer no more advice. Additionally she can't go onto billed quarterly, so that will not be a solution. Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could only assume it's in debt-recovery mode?
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi malachysdad,

The settings from the meter will hold the answers.

What sort of meter is it? An old token one or a key meter?

When the tenancy last changed and your neighbour moved in were E.ON notified and did she receive a new prepayment device through the post?

If she has at any time used another device this may have adjusted the settings on the meter. If this is the case tell E.ON and a new device will be sent to reset the meter to correct prices and settings.

The majority of cases like this is the result of a debt setting on the meter, but like I say, the settings will clarify everything. :cool:

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • malachysdad
    malachysdad Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    The meter is a key meter and E-On did send her a new key but i'll wait and see if the settings prove the answer.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah that would be best, it’s possible that a debt has been on the meter for a while, going back over a few tenants accounts.

If the replacement key was faulty, it would explain why the meter has not been correctly reset.

Hope the settings show the answer, and you get this sorted.

Any other questions give me a shout. :)

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure