We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LHA question

We_Are_The_Mods
We_Are_The_Mods Posts: 176 Forumite
edited 14 June 2009 at 11:06AM in Benefits & tax credits
Thanks in advance for any help.

It's looking likely that I will have to give up my house and rent privately. I see that LHA is based on how many bedrooms you need, most flats around here are two bed but being single with no dependants I obviously only need the one. Will I still qualify for LHA if I can only find a two bed flat? Also, will bankruptcy effect a LHA claim in anyway?

My brief situation is as follows;

Signed off on incapacity benefit for 12 months (12/08)
Currently get short term higher IB and council tax benefit
Waiting on a result for a DLA claim
no assets or savings

:beer:
«1

Comments

  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Thanks in advance for any help.

    It's looking likely that I will have to give up my house and rent privately. I see that LHA is based on how many bedrooms you need, most flats around here are two bed but being single with no dependants I obviously only need the one. Will I still qualify for LHA if I can only find a two bed flat? Also, will bankruptcy effect a LHA claim in anyway?

    My brief situation is as follows;

    Signed off on incapacity benefit for 12 months (12/08)
    Currently get short term higher IB and council tax benefit
    Waiting on a result for a DLA claim
    no assets or savings

    :beer:

    You get given a weekly amount - if the LL is prepared to rent to you for that amount then you can live in whatever size property you want - any extra you pay for.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Thanks in advance for any help.

    It's looking likely that I will have to give up my house and rent privately. I see that LHA is based on how many bedrooms you need, most flats around here are two bed but being single with no dependants I obviously only need the one. Will I still qualify for LHA if I can only find a two bed flat? Also, will bankruptcy effect a LHA claim in anyway?

    My brief situation is as follows;

    Signed off on incapacity benefit for 12 months (12/08)
    Currently get short term higher IB and council tax benefit
    Waiting on a result for a DLA claim
    no assets or savings

    :beer:

    You'll get the LHA rate for a 1 bedroomed plaace (assuming you're over 25), if your rent is higher than that rate, you'd have to find the extra money, or negotiate your rent down.
  • Perr
    Perr Posts: 125 Forumite
    If you ring your LHA tell them the postcode of the area you would like to live in,where flats are available,they will then tell you how much the H/B will be.
  • thanks.

    I was already aware that I would only qualify for a 1 bed allowance (which is £84 p/w here) but I was worried that the condition was you could only rent a 1 bed place to qualify, I have no problem paying towards any extra rent just worried that I wouldn't be able to find a suitable place to qualify for LHA.

    Thanks for putting my mind at rest regards to that.

    Another question, can anyone receiving LHA or has experience of it advise as to how long it takes for the benefit to come through after a claim? and also are they prompt with the weekly/monthly payments? I'd hate to fall behind with any rent and upset the LL or jeopardise the roof over my head.

    thanks again.
  • CIS
    CIS Posts: 12,260 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    you can check local LHA rates online - http://lha-direct.therentservice.gov.uk/ (it appear to be off-line for maintenance at the moment)
    Another question, can anyone receiving LHA or has experience of it advise as to how long it takes for the benefit to come through after a claim? and also are they prompt with the weekly/monthly payments? I'd hate to fall behind with any rent and upset the LL or jeopardise the roof over my head.

    It depends on the local authority, providing they have all the relevant info then they should calculate entitlement within 14 days but each LA has their own processing times.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    thanks.

    I was already aware that I would only qualify for a 1 bed allowance (which is £84 p/w here) but I was worried that the condition was you could only rent a 1 bed place to qualify, I have no problem paying towards any extra rent just worried that I wouldn't be able to find a suitable place to qualify for LHA.

    Thanks for putting my mind at rest regards to that.

    Another question, can anyone receiving LHA or has experience of it advise as to how long it takes for the benefit to come through after a claim? and also are they prompt with the weekly/monthly payments? I'd hate to fall behind with any rent and upset the LL or jeopardise the roof over my head.

    thanks again.

    I think one of the main things you will have to worry about is finding LL's that accept people on LHA - as the money now goes directly to the tenant (in 90% of cases) a lot of LL's are very wary.

    Your Local Auth will probably have a list of properties that will accept LHA claimants.

    Alternatively (if you can) - get together a months deposit and a months rent in advance - as LL myself any LHA claimant coming along to me with both of those would be immediately acceptable.

    Another way is your Local Authority will probably run a Rent Deposit Scheme - they will provide the LL with a months deposit (in the form of a certificate) and a months rent in advance. They will arrange appointments for you to view available properties.
  • hippy-chicy
    hippy-chicy Posts: 535 Forumite
    thanks.

    I was already aware that I would only qualify for a 1 bed allowance (which is £84 p/w here) but I was worried that the condition was you could only rent a 1 bed place to qualify, I have no problem paying towards any extra rent just worried that I wouldn't be able to find a suitable place to qualify for LHA.

    Thanks for putting my mind at rest regards to that.

    Another question, can anyone receiving LHA or has experience of it advise as to how long it takes for the benefit to come through after a claim? and also are they prompt with the weekly/monthly payments? I'd hate to fall behind with any rent and upset the LL or jeopardise the roof over my head.

    thanks again.

    The ideal processing time a new claim is within 28 days (for us) although each LA is different. We are in a backlog situation at the moment so its taking at least 6 weeks. The only bit of advise i can give you is when you make you claim make sure all the info/ evidence is there with the claim. That was when the assessor looks at the claim they will be able to assess it then rather than writing / contacting you via phone to get further info which means more delays.

    Payments made to the customer are two weekly in arrears, when made to landlords they are 4 weekly in arrears.

    Hope that helps. :)
    :j
  • socrates wrote: »

    Alternatively (if you can) - get together a months deposit and a months rent in advance - as LL myself any LHA claimant coming along to me with both of those would be immediately acceptable.

    That's good to hear, I should be able to put aside enough for a deposit and 3 months rent to allow for any delay in the LHA claim, hopefully that should stand me in good stead. I've also had a mortgage for the past 5 years without any problems, hopefully that will also back me up slightly.

    It's a shame that the problems of a lot of HB claimants tar us all with the same brush and puts LL's off renting to any of us.

    Is a clean credit history a must also? I have no CCJs or anything but obviously have debts that I've defaulted on which I'm paying with token payments.
  • netgear11
    netgear11 Posts: 116 Forumite
    socrates wrote: »
    I think one of the main things you will have to worry about is finding LL's that accept people on LHA - as the money now goes directly to the tenant (in 90% of cases) a lot of LL's are very wary.

    Your Local Auth will probably have a list of properties that will accept LHA claimants.

    Alternatively (if you can) - get together a months deposit and a months rent in advance - as LL myself any LHA claimant coming along to me with both of those would be immediately acceptable.

    Another way is your Local Authority will probably run a Rent Deposit Scheme - they will provide the LL with a months deposit (in the form of a certificate) and a months rent in advance. They will arrange appointments for you to view available properties.
    This is the problem you see. I have enough for the first and last months rent and still, I face problems with regards to salary information, pay slips etc. I have excellent credit rating etc, just keep tripping up on LL's/LA's requesting salary and pay slip info..
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    netgear11 wrote: »
    This is the problem you see. I have enough for the first and last months rent and still, I face problems with regards to salary information, pay slips etc. I have excellent credit rating etc, just keep tripping up on LL's/LA's requesting salary and pay slip info..

    I think you need to expand on this a bit - too vague....
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.