We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I feel there's no way out.

Sorry for the length of this but I have been putting it off for ages.
I have been off work sick, since last July and do not have a job when I am fit enough to return to work.
I used to be a Project Manager for the local authority and had a good salary.
I now get £80.15 pw Incapacity Benefit.
I have applied for help with my mortgage but had to wait for 39 weeks for this to start. I was shocked that I was only entitled to £20 per week as my mortgage is £556.00 per month.
Naively, I didn't know they took into account any secured loans I had in the past.
I have credit card debts and I have contacted the companies and they accept £1 per month.
I am paying the Inland Revenue £15 per month for a previous tax bill and also £20 per month for a water bill.
I put a bit away each week towards other bills such as gas and electric etc.
Over the last year I have used all my savings to pay the mortgage and have had 6 payment holidays so I am not behind.
My youngest son has moved in temporarily and he gives me £50 per week and I have told the mortgage section at Income Support.
They say I am not eligible for any assistance with my mortgage now he lives here as he works full time.
Even with his money and my Incapacity Benefit, I cannot get the full mortgage together and don't know what to do or where to turn.
I feel really desparate.
NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
Food
£73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
Petrol £20/£40
Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
Debt :eek: £18,917

Comments

  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920 Forumite
    10,000 Posts
    That is a really difficult one, I do feel for you. What you need to do is look at minimising outgoings and maximising income (although you do appear to have done this to a great extent already).

    Have you spoken to HMRC about postponing/ lowering your payments to them?

    Could I ask what your health condition is? If you have care and/ or mobility needs, you may qualify for DLA.

    Is it possible for your son to contribute more to the household?

    Looking forward, do you know when you might be ready to return to work? Will the LA be able to find you an alternative position? If not, are you eligible for redundancy?
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.