Why don't Age Concern give Powergen the finger?

in Energy
3 replies 684 views
oldwiringoldwiring Forumite
2.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
I had just started the trfr to PG Age Concern when the tarriff was upped so I prmptly went back to my old supplier. There used to be a sizable discount on PGs normal prices using the Age Concern option but now it seems no cheaper.

One has to wonder what is in it for Age Concern, or if they aren't just naifs. I reckon if neither of my supicions are valid, they'd be giving PG the finger now.

I'm more convinced since my reviwing my house insurance; Age Concern were beaten hands down by another high class insurer, that gave good rates to wrinklies. :rolleyes:

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a thread on this a long while ago.

Basically this scheme is nothing to do with Age Concern. It is a cynical marketing exercise by Powergen who contribute to Age Concern's coffers for the use of their name.

Powergen and Age Concern admit that it is not the cheapest tariff Powergen have.

I think, overall, Age Concern are an admirable organisation but they do a dis-service to pensioners(although anyone of any age can get this tariff) when they lend their good name to Powergen.
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oldwiring wrote:
    I'm more convinced since my reviwing my house insurance; Age Concern were beaten hands down by another high class insurer, that gave good rates to wrinklies.

As another 'wrinkly', I can't see why we need separate power suppliers, home insurance providers etc, different from anyone else.

We recently changed our home insurance - actually we do it every year, 'punt around' until we get the best deal possible. This year we've gone for Churchill. We get gas and electricity from Npower.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found the thread I was referring to earlier. Obviously the tariffs are now out of date but the principle of Age Concern lending their name to Powergen still applies.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=38800&page=1&pp=10&highlight=powergen+concern
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides