Options
2»

Comments

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2010 at 7:16PM
    Options
    I am the most extreme person I know on this subject, I will continue till the day I die being so, no apologies, and no ground given.

- if I caught a person inside my house I would try to xxxx him, and take whatever consequence.

- call centre staff including legitimate / legal ones are no better than burglars, they are in my house, uninvited, and in my face. It's a trespasser hiding behind an undisclosed number using my personal property without my permission, by any other name a low life thief.

- I pay Vigin about £150+ per annum for my landline, it's mine all mine, anyone calling uninvited is instantly told a polite no thank you and please get off my telephone line right now this second / immediately.

- if they dont instantly [ and they never ever do ] hang up they get (1) loud - profane - relentless - nasty disgusting observations about daughters / mothers / fathers and anything else I can think of from the very word go. It's a very quick by-pass to the supervisor who gets an action replay (2) of the same.

- I don't care who it is and have no sympathy whatsoever for ' poor little call centre staff '

- they all tell me it's recorded, and all tell me they are going to report me, I say good do so .. .. and go into the (3) third action replay of the same manic profanity.

NOTE

I have to this day never been contacted by anyone, example the Police, and don't expect I ever will.

I apply it to all calls, UK / Virgin / anyone, and in the 3 years I've been doing it unsolicited calls have dropped from 2 or 3 a week to 2 or 3 a year.

Any call centre staff or parents / partners thereof who want to have a pop at me, feel free, but the next time someone pollutes my privacy they will get more~of~the~same.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    Any call centre staff or parents / partners thereof who want to have a pop at me, feel free, but the next time someone pollutes my privacy they will get more~of~the~same.

Can't see anyone complaining tbh. I did cold calling myself when I was a teenager. Double glazing. The people who call you know what a pain in the !!!! it is, but it's better to earn a living than to sign on.

Soul destroying stuff though, all you're doing is calling people who've no desire to be called. All the people I worked with (some had been doing it years, I managed 6 months before it wore me down) were polite enough, if the caller said they weren't interested we didn't pester them.

Everyone who works in cold-calling there knows it's a crappy job. It's short shifts too, so it's good for parents/students etc. Nobody makes a long-term career out of it and because of the nature of the work "churn" is very high.

At least with spam emails you can write rules to automatically filter them out.

I really think new laws should be brought in to deal with cold calling though. Nobody wants it.

Companies should pay for a license to cold call. The license fees should then go towards BT/Whoever providing opt-out from cold calling.

Right now you can block international/withheld/etc numbers but BT charge a few quid a month for each. That's outrageous. I have to pay to not be harassed in my own home by people trying to sell me crap I don't want?

People on this forum more than most know just how much commission etc salespeople get. Look at quidco. If you sign up to Sky in the shopping mall, look at it like that guy just got your quidco. Not bad for standing outside Greggs chatting up women as they walk past!
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • sjg1950
    Options
    Just had a phone call, even gave me a phone number to ring back, 02030519993, BUT 1471 cannot return call I live in IPSWICH so obviously targetting the whole country. Was really convincing even siad he wasnt going to ask me to connect to the net. Got daughter to use her computer and ceck for scams while talking to him. so I stopped and put the phone down. THANK YOU
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    falls on deaf ears == pun intended :D
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • hubert_cumberdale
    Options
    anyone that even falls for that should not be allowed near a computer for their own personal safety

there is no way microsoft would ever phone you up or even know you machine was infected
    and you isp would never phone you because they wouldnt know you were infected either

im not suprised there is so much fraud and people getting scammed - think common sense is the word
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    how about giving your house keys to a stranger ! /////////
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • hubert_cumberdale
    Options
    any company or organisation that needs to phone you to sell you stuff is obviously failing and their product is rubbish or you would find them

all those stupid half price bed sofa kitchen adverts on the telly put me off ever even looking at there shops the product are not half price they are just priced in accordance with the rubbishness of them. rant over
  • spg_SCOTT
    spg_SCOTT Posts: 171 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 1:46PM
    Options
    anyone that even falls for that should not be allowed near a computer for their own personal safety

there is no way microsoft would ever phone you up or even know you machine was infected
    and you isp would never phone you because they wouldnt know you were infected either

im not suprised there is so much fraud and people getting scammed - think common sense is the word

Come on, there will always be someone who simply is unaware, and likely to fall for this. Simply because they don't know.

For someone who has absolutely no idea about computers, this would be believable.

Ironically enough though, the least computer literate person I know, doesn't suffer fools gladly, and probably would end up spotting the con before anything is said. I never could fool my nan :rotfl: and I'm the one that does the remote support, although the calling is done the other way around ;)
    -Scott-

“There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!” Richard Feynman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure