Asda Group Interview

Options
Hi. My student DD has a group interview with Asda tomorrow and she is wondering what to expect, never having had to do a 'group' thing before.. Neither have I or DH so I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on what she should prepare for. (She is applying for sales assistant role, nothing managerial.)

She really wants this job as it would give her employment both here and in university town so any help is gratefully received!

Comments

• jazzypinkpuppet
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't been to an Asda interview before but have been to a couple of group interviews for similar places. This is how both of those went
    They basically start with some ice breakers like "Tell us your name and something interesting thing about yourself " "what is your biggest achievement so far" etc etc.
    After that there is usually a couple of group exercises like selling a random product to the rest of the group, or in food it might be planning a menu or party buffet. I had a design a poster advertising a bar of soap ???
    Really they are looking at how well you work within the group rather than how good the poster or lego house is built.
    Then we had a little break, but don't be fooled you are still being watched and marked on how you interact with the other people there.
    After that we had a one to one interview with a line manager.
    Both interviews lasted between 2-3 hours and there were about 10-12 people there.
    One of them told me on the day that I had got the job, the other one rang the next day.
    Just tell your daughter to be herself, contribute to the activities but don't trample over other people to get heard and try and have fun.
    I hope she gets on ok
  • j-josie
    j-josie Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that. I'll pass this on to DD so she can prepare for that sort of thing. Good advice about how the break time is still part of the interview process; I'll tell her not to pick her nose or spit at the others;)
  • KrazyKel
    KrazyKel Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    How did your daughter get on?
    Ive got my group interview with Asda tomorrow. eek!
    I hope it goes well. It was meant to be yesterday but they had to cancel and reschedule for tomorrow.
    Make £10 a day Challenge June - £170
  • j-josie
    Options
    Oh, don't start me on this one!!

It turns out that when the recruitment person told DD to come for interview 'next' Thursday, he meant 'this' Thursday... He didn't state a date and DD didn't think to ask him to clarify the date as she was sure 'next' Thursday means, not the Thursday which is day after tomorrow, that's 'this' Thursday so Thursday of the following week (are you keeping up with this, at the back :p)

Anyway, yesterday morning, just as she is getting ready to go to her 'interview' she gets a letter from them saying she hasn't got the job. So, confused, she rings up Asda where the misunderstanding was revealed.

Apparently, they have been very nice and said their man should have clarified the date. There are apparently more interviews being run..in the next week or so..my dippy daughter wasn't quite sure..but they are going to put her in for that interview..or so she thinks but we know what she's like at receiving messages on the phone, so heaven knows what they said (sorry, just venting frustration here; DH has been out of work for last 8 months so I was so keen for DD to get a job as it would enable her to be a little more independent and afford to do some fun stuff, which we can't help out with..)

My head hurts!
    Good luck with your interview anyway
  • KrazyKel
    Options
    When they rang me to reschedule my interview from yesterday they said i could go on either tomorrow or wednesday. so im doing it tomorrow!
    Someone else from where i work now has also got an interview with asda on the Wednesday too!
    I work at somerfield but the store is closing next week (all getting made redundant) - They are building a Tesco, i applied for that but never heard anything back - too many applied.
    Im really nervous about tomorrows interview now, trying to choose what to wear now too haha!
  • j-josie
    Options
    Is it too late to run up and buy a top from George at Asda; corporate loyalty and all that.. ;)
  • KrazyKel
    Options
    I did buy a new top the other day when i went out shopping, but changed my mind on it now so looking what else i have! haha

Im also a bit worried as ive got Arthritis in my knees and joints etc and limp around a bit, If ill be standing a lot with these long group interviews, and also how it might effect me getting the job.
    I did put it on the application form, and i can do the job - been doing the same job at Somerfield the past 5 years but still worry about how it will effect me getting the job.
  • gunman786
    gunman786 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i have had an Asda group interview, what it entailed was a brief introduction about the company with a video showing the working environment, staff, job roles, benefits etc. Then we had to be paired up with the person next to us and have them interviewed on different questions set to us like which country they would like to go to and why, we were then to have them read out in front of all the other applicants. Lastly, we had to be put into groups with packets of balloons and create a free standing stable 'castle' with them and have them scored by everyone.
    Hello there
  • j-josie
    Options
    How was your castle then..and did you get the job?
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    TEDDYRUKSPIN Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    gunman786 wrote: »
    Hi i have had an Asda group interview, what it entailed was a brief introduction about the company with a video showing the working environment, staff, job roles, benefits etc. Then we had to be paired up with the person next to us and have them interviewed on different questions set to us like which country they would like to go to and why, we were then to have them read out in front of all the other applicants. Lastly, we had to be put into groups with packets of balloons and create a free standing stable 'castle' with them and have them scored by everyone.

You serious?????? That is one of the best group interviews ever! Making a castle. LOL.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure