ryanair luggage advice please

Options
we are traveliing with ryanair tomorrow but booked in february and would appreciate some advice on how to carry our luggage

so far i have packed one case for all 3 of us weighing approx 24kilos.. we were going to take my rucksack handbag thing and also a sports holdall for on board

having read the threads about the luggage requirements it seems to indicate that no ONE piece of luggage should weigh over 15kgs and i have to pay for each piece or am i confused?? (this would be normal lol)

so should i seperate the luggage into 2 even bags and jus take my handbag on board??

would appreciate some advice here as i dont want a cheap holiday to end up expensive cos i packed all wrong

many thanks in advance
When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining

Comments

• zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shykins wrote:
    so should i seperate the luggage into 2 even bags and jus take my handbag on board??

Yes.

Each person is entitled to one piece of checked baggage weighing no more than 15kg. You cannot combine your luggage into one bag if that bag is going to be more than 15kg. If it is more than 15kg then you pay something like £5 per extra kg, which quickly becomes expensive.
    What goes around - comes around
  • evesham1988la
    Options
    As you had booked in February, the new baggage t&cs where you have to pay for each bag in the hold are not applicable to you.
    sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As you had booked in February, the new baggage t&cs where you have to pay for each bag in the hold are not applicable to you.

Not true.

Ryanair check in will insist the bag is under 15kg or charge for the extra.

The bookings pre March 16th is just a ruse to try and persuade you they do give a damn...you quote the date at them and they tell you Ryanair reserve the right to change T + C at any time.

So unless you want to buy a bag at the airport (which is v hard to do as all the other annoyed ryanair passengers before you will have bought them already) I'd seperate out.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Shykins
    I`ve flown with Ryanair 4 times in the past month.
    If you booked your flight before 16th March you are allowed one piece of luggage each adult weighing no more than 15kg and that goes in the hold for free.
    DO NOT GO OVER YOUR 15KG LIMIT,they will charge you £5-50 for every kilo over.
    In addition to your luggage allowance you are allowed one item of hand baggage per person, weighing no more than 10kg and with dimensions of less than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, may be carried into the aircraft cabin.
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got charged 8 Euros last week. I was 1/2 kilo over going out ( no charge) and nothing added to case when coming back. I couldn't be bothered taking anything out and I had 7 bottles of wine and a bottle of Gordons in my hand luggage. Most people were over coming back.
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    From Ryanair website:-
    [quot]The Checked Baggage allowance is 20kg per person (there is no baggage allowance for infants, although a pram/buggy will be carried free of charge). Each Passenger may check-in up to five items of checked baggage, up to 20kg per person (a Baggage Fee is charged for each item of checked baggage).[/quot].

This is obviously post 16 March. Pre 16 March booking may be subject to the 15kg max, but I wouldn't think they would bother.

Still, if you split your 24kg case into 2 12kg you will not only be well under either limit but you will have some contingency for any holiday purchaes.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thankyou all very much for your advice.. looks like i better go repack it into 2 or 3 bags

poo cos normally i am not this organised to have packed the day before lol.. mind u serves me right for not checking sooner and i wouldnt have done had i not been looking on here.. once again this site saves me money!!!!

see u all when i get back

xx
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yup, you cannot combine your luggage allowance between passengers travelling on the same booking. We normally take one huge holdall when we go skiing with all our stuff in it, but when we flew with Ryanair earlier this month we split it into 4 separate bags (2 each). The check in girls' eyes lit up when we said we were checking in 4 bags, then she was most disappointed when we were only carrying about 10kg each! She obviously thought we were dead certs for a hefty excess luggage charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure