Is it possible to be an organic mse?

Options
Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but...

I try to feed my family (me, dh, ds-3, new baby-soon to be fed proper food!)
as well as I can on our budget. I make lists, stick to them, make stuff from scratch, etc, etc

However, since the rush of articles/tv programmes/etc on organic food I have found myself getting increasingly paronoid about what we are eating. (DH says Jamie Oliver has a lot to answer for and I should just stop reading/watching it!)

So my question is... Is it possible to be organic and a mse?

I have used internet shopping sites to check it out and our shopping bill would be horrenous if we were to 'go organic' - are the supermarkets cashing in on people's paranoia or does it really cost that much more to produce the stuff organically? Particularly the meat! An organic chicken in sainsburys is the best part of £8!

Any thoughts or tips much appreciated.

Claire

Comments

• looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    farm shops and farmers markets!

Forget supermarkets organic stuff, you will pay through the nose for it. What you really need to be looking for is your local farmers market (let me know where you live an I'll try to find a farmers market for you) Lots of places have one at least monthly now and you can buy cheap organic fruit veg and meat which can be cooked, pureed and frozen for baby food.
  • Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    Options
    i agree, we get a 'farm box' for £10 a week which has veggies and fruit for 4 people. v cheap!

also baby eats organic home made baby puree and hipp organic baby purees and foods. so baby is quite easy to cater for!

we only eat organic vegs and fruit though, pretty much everything else is the bog standard stuff in tescos.
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    You could also grow your own food.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    May I suggest you try browsing/searching the Money Saving Old Style board - there are lots of folks over there who aim for as organic/green a diet as possible without breaking the bank. (Having said that, most of the ways they achieve this have already been mentioned on this thread!)

If after a browse you still have some unanswered questions, just ask the Old Stylers and you'll get loads of ideas.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family