Road Tax ?

Options
Hi all.

Could anyone please tell me, if as a Blue badge holder & in receipt of the higher rate mobilty DLA, do you have to pay full road tax ?

The car is registered in my o/h name for insurance purposes, but this is the only car which we have in our household.

Comments

• munchings-n-crunchings
    Options
    Hello,

If a person is in receipt of Higher Rate DLA mobility, they can apply for Road Tax exemption.
    You would need to ask the DWP for a certificate DLA 404.

There are draw backs with this, the main being that the vehicle can only be used for the benefit of the disabled person.
    It's a little bit of a grey area, but I wouldn't want to fall foul of the system.
    So if you are the disabled person, your o/h might not be able to use the car for going to and from work.

Here's the link. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/Yourvehicleandlicence/DG_10028003

Regards
    Munchie
  • korky69
    korky69 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    technically you must only use it for the disabled persons needs,
    but the police wouldn't really pull you over it, and if you did get an over zealous officer, you could say you're picking up some shopping or doing a chore,
    the person does not have to be in the car at all times.
    ive had 1 since 1994 via my dad with no problems and ive never read of anyone getting pulled over it.
    i wouldn't really worry over it
  • Rictina
    Rictina Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, really helpfull.
  • chopperharris
    chopperharris Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    The car will have its paperwork changed to disabled taxation , you get a form to renew the tax disk from benefits office (dla one if mem serves) , the tax disk will from then display disabled on it.

All it takes is a peeved off person to phone up about it being abused , or as mentioned a copper with a attitude problem perhaps after an accident or a stop.

Wont be long before this is closed up by the next hmg to be only for "substantially adapted vehicles" llike the vat relief , or the ellgible person being in the car at the time.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • Millburn_farm
    Options
    I get higher rate mobility; as does my mother; she lost her licence in January (her driving was the pitts:rolleyes:)

my cars MOT ran out, and we were strugglling to find a car (we go shopping with £900 and want a yrs MOT :confused: ) so we fixed my Mums' right-off; (old car £200)

I couldn't actually drive my Mum's automatic (ME brain just couldn't cope :rolleyes: ) so my Hubby drove it 2 days a week whilst I did our/Mum's shopping using his pick-up ; he left the car (farmer working for the council road mending) somewhere obscure, but the landowner got worried:rolleyes: and phoned the police; the police just checked that the car wasn't stolen they never questioned the disabled tax disc :eek:

I have to say; my hubby drove car, allowing me to drive pick-up, so that I could sort me and my mother, so we didn't actually believe we were being illegal; and still don't; and I don't think we ever take the "micheal"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure