Please help for cheaper deal

Options
Hi

I am currently with telewest for my phone and broadband. I pay £25 per month for unlimited calls but this does not include any calls to national numbers or local 0845 numbers, I also pay £25 per month for my broadband. There must be a better deal out there and I am prepared to switch to BT for line rental if necessary but I am confused with all the offers at the mo.

Please help!

Comments

• Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was in same position as you with Telewest, but cut down as follows and made substantial savings:

Reduced Supreme TV package (new price £17, I think) to Starter package at £5.50 - we didn't use lots of extra channels

Reduced Free Evening and Weekend Calls (£16.50) to basic line rental at £10.50 - hadn't realised that basic rental also includes free weekend local and national calls. We use 1899 for calls outside weekend.

Reduced Blueyonder broadband 8 MG at £25 to lower speed, but still very fast 2 MG, at £17.99.

Saved £24.51 per month. Only took a free call to Telewest on 150 and changes were made instantly. If you are cutting down TV package, make sure there is nothing you are following on one of the channels you are losing. I hadn't expected cut down would take place instantly.

Hope this helps.
  • savvysass
    savvysass Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that, I dont have my tv package with them I use sky (lots of problems with telewest tv so switched)

I didnt realise that free calls were included at weekends on basic line rental either, I will def look into that and reducing the broadband speed.

cheers
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're not tied to Telewest by TV, then changing to BT would give you a much wider range of cheap provider options. Clincher for me is that I save all my family and friends long calls for weekends when they're free and am a very low user at all other times. Eg my sister on BT using 1899 pays 3p connection and 0p per minute, I have to pay 3p connection and 1p per minute using 1899 on cable. If I made more use of phone I would have to look for a provider that gave fixed rate hour long phone calls in the evenings, but still using Telewest line.

As far as broadband goes, Blueyonder may still be dearer than some of the cheaper options, but I have always found it excellent and reliable to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure