Close Tesco internet account

Options
:mad:I've only just realized HOW ridiculous the Tesco internet saving account is - it took me a good 6 weeks to get up and running and I have just found out that in order to be able to actually do anything, you need to go through another ridiculous process to get a card reader...Problem is, I assumed this account would be like normal accounts and I could actually get my money out instantly (without having to order things to do that) I really need access to my money by next month at the latest and worried card reader (based on stories on this forum) is not going to appear...

So does anyone know/have any suggestions for how i get my money out quickly? :confused:
- can i phone them and beg?
- do i have to write to them and hope i get a cheque quickly?
- could i set up a standing order from my current account to take the money out of the Tesco account??

Any help appreciated! I can't believe they are making this SO difficult and wish I read this forum before I applied.

Comments

• Sparky47
    Sparky47 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    If you need to set up a payee account to withdraw money before your card reader arrives, then phone customer services and they will set it up for you.
  • Melody79
    Options
    Thanks! :T

I just called them and they set up transfers to get my money out - it seems so stupid though that I don't actually need to use the card reader... No mention of being able to do just one transfer as other people on this forum suggested.

Anyway, I am taking all my money out and will be following up with a letter suggesting some process improvements to them!
  • natman
    natman Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    I agree.
    I opened up an internet saver offering around 6.5% plus about 1000 clubcard points back in November.

I am not joking this is the worst set up account ever, it took 2 months before I got any paperwork, another month for a car reader, I missed the payment date to get the clubcard points and now the interest rate is down to 2.5% ish i think.
    Just sent a letter off to close the damn thing. The worst.
    :rotfl:
  • endure
    endure Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2009 at 11:19AM
    Options
    Anyone who has a Nationwide card reader can also use it on their Tesco account.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You know, I was thinking about opening Instant Access Savings account with Tesco to save up for next year's ISA. It sounds to me it is not worth the hassle with all these cries from other Tesco consumers. (Especially, if I want to withdraw £5100 in April.)

Hmm, I guess I will open new account with banks/building society that got branches in my local town, Poole instead.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There have been numerous threads about this. The card reader issue is madenning but

you can set up payees by phone
    you can phone free by going via their credit card 0800 number
    you can use nat west/nationwide card readers

Once set up, it's very efficient and is one of very few savings accounts to offer full Faster Payments transfers
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Options
    endure wrote: »
    Anyone who has a Nationwide card reader can also use it on their Tesco account.

This is true, but you have to order a Tesco card reader for them to also send you the card to go in the card reader!
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 June 2009 at 2:12PM
    Options
    But I cannot use the phone at all. And my experiences with phone system are often pure hell. I had to go into Halifax branch to solve the problem with internet and even then, they had to phone the Internet service up and asked me to confirm it that it is me on the phone. :o before they are willing to do anything. It was a major hassle. :(

Beside, I am going to apply for Instant Access Savings account instead. There is always a hope that it will go fine for me. :)
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TESCO account is a great savings account.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family