None BT Landline and fault reporting?????

Options
1jim
1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
HI
Has anyone moved their line rental away from BT and then had to report a line fault, who did you report it too? was it easy to sort ? does your new provider forward incoming calls to a mobile free of charge? etc etc

I ask this because I was thinking of moving the linerental to talktalk as they provide our calls but recently we had an underground fault and it was a nightmare dealing with BT to get the problem fixed by their own engineers and was just wondering of the hassel would be multiplied if I had to go through a 3rd party to report a fault on the line

any persaonl thoughts or experiences would be great and will help me make up my mind
thanks
Jim

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Talk Talk just re-sell BT line rental so, although faults are reported to them, they then contact Openreach (BT Wholesale) to find and fix the fault.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but does going through a 3rd party make it more of a pain?
    when i called bt they told me when they would call (even though it was several days after the fault occured),and redirected incoming calls to my mobile (even though there is no reception where we live)
    I dont know, I want to save money but am really worried that the 3rd party being onvolved is just going to make matters more complicated to sort out if another fault develops
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    Talk Talk will charge 50p per month for the answer machine ,BT 1571 is free .Talk Talk also charge for caller display with BT privacy its free .Talk Talk will block indirect access so you cant use 18866/1899/18185 .Are Talk Talk giving you free evening & weekend calls or just free weekend calls and free calls to other TT customers .
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    You report it to TT,they then if need be report it to Openreach.

The anagram for Openreach is No Cheaper which sums TT up.

If you move your line rental to TT you will also no longer be able to use the 1280 overide facility,which means amongst other things your have to pay 4.5p a minute peak to call 0845 numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure