Just be careful with 18866

Options
We use 18866 and are more than happy with it (I'd like to say that before I start)

My apologies if someone has already posted about this!

This morning I received an email telling me that the credit card I was using was about to expire and to enter 'new' details via a link in the email.

It 'looked' genuine enough and as I was about to 'stupidly' click on the link they supplied, when I looked more closely at the body of the email.

1. It was addressed to 'customer' and they're usually addressed to my partner by name.

2. They supplied a customer account number. (which off-hand I didn't know)

I closed down my email and went to the 18866 website via my browser.

The customer number was incorrect too!

I'm guessing it's another one of these scams to get you to give up security information about your bank accounts etc;

So be warned! and again my apologies if someone else has already posted regarding this.

I've come to expect the spoof emails about banks etc; and simply delete them as soon as they come into my inbox, however this one almost got by me!! "
something missing

Comments

• ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the warning ,you cant be to carefull these days .
    First thing www.1899.com is generally cheaper than 18866 .
    18185 is cheaper for mobile calls .
    If you misdial 18866 and dial 118866 you will get directory enquiries and it isnt cheap .
    18866/1899/18185 all accept direct debit payments now .So you wont need to update Credit card details .
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    ...18866/1899/18185 all accept direct debit payments now .So you wont need to update Credit card details .
    Do 18185 accept payment via direct debit because I couldn't find any reference to it on their site. Last time I heard it was just Call18866/1899.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote:
    Do 18185 accept payment via direct debit because I couldn't find any reference to it on their site. Last time I heard it was just Call18866/1899.
    Yes, it's now one of the options under:

Your payment details
    (Change your payment method here)
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote:
    yes 18185 do accept DD .It dosen't say on the site until you get to the payment details ,then you get the DD option .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure