UPVC Rehau/SwiftFrames/Eurocell/Duraflex?

Options
dadsarmy
dadsarmy Posts: 122 Forumite
What frames would be best to replace wood sash windows fitted in a year 2007 terrace house? (want windows replaced as next row of terraces being built all have upvc top hung open out windows. The new builder challenged the planning requirement to have wood - and he paid the £85 to have the condition removed).

These wood sash windows are draughty - the curtains move in the wind (I have checked all the seals are in place) and noisey although double glazed. We live opposite a pub and just 80 metres from the atlantic so quite a windy area. Windows are all about 1200 high 1100 wide.

I am thinking about top hung windows with a wide bar across the middle just to blend in a bit with neighbours. I would like to use tempered or laminated glass one side of the d/g for noise reduction - whats best? Anyway sorry to ramble on..... your thoughts on the best frames to use is much appreciated. Does anyone know if Swift or Duraflex use self tapping screws and not welded? Thanks all

Oh and also will I be able to keep the concrete cills under the windows and not have them removed? Plus can I have a French door with no lock on the outside? I read eurocell use recycled plastic which may make the white frames go yellow over a period of time - what about the others?

Comments

• sashman
    sashman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    WHERE to start….?

First I make windows, I am not touting for business but I have been in the DG industry since 1972 when I left school (work it out yourself!!)

Last bits first. Most concrete cills should be able to stay in position, French doors can have handles one side only, ENSURE the cylinder lock (the bit the key goes into) is Bump proof. There are new locks for PVC doors to prevent cylinder bumping.

Eurocell and many others are using recycled PVCu, this is a good thing, something the industry is keen to do more of, NO its doesn’t yellow. Plastic is a huge term, a bit like vegetables, cheap plastics can and do, especially on door panels or bars in the sealed units.

PVCu RARELY discolours these days. There was a rouge batch of compound in the late 90’s but it is rare.

Right which glass, right opposite the pub. I'd MOVE.

I'd suggest two thicknesses of glass, this help reduce noise because certain frequencies go straight through same thickness glass units. 6.3 Laminated on the outside (also stops glass being broken) and then 4mm on the inside. The comment about moving is because whatever glass you have if the windows are open (summer) the noise will come in whatever glass you have.

If you have sash window today…..please keep sash windows, they’ll retain the character of your home, but consider PVCu sash windows that if made and installed correctly, wont have the draughts that you currently have.

PM me and I’ll help you find a local trusted installer, (we guarantee their workmanship)

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• dadsarmy
    edited 23 July 2009 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Sashman, many thanks for the reply and useful information.

I agree our row of terraces with wood sash windows look better than the next terrace with top hung windows and fake sash horns on them.

Being a slim tallish terrace we open windows or/and a door at the back and the whole house sort of breathes OK. This saves opening the windows at the "pub side". It`s only after say 11pm that noise reduction would be really useful as before that we sometimes open windows so we can hear the musicians/bands play (FOC) and the sound of the sea.

I assumed that top hung windows having less sealing areas than wood or PVCu sash would be better for noise reduction. We will certainly give thought to replacement PVCu sash at the front "pub side" with laminated glass one side.

Our local council require scale elevation/floor plans etc as part of the information needed for planning permission to be granted - so its going to take time to sort it.

Thanks again - we have lots to think about.
  • gmgmgm
    gmgmgm Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    If you have draughts and don't need the window open often, squeezing some clingfilm into the gaps works wonders. Use a palette knife. Easy to remove and has a miraculous effect.

I doubt any sort of window will improve being 80m from the pub. I'd buy some heavier curtains.

Are you really sure you want to remove the sash windows to "fit in" with your new neighbours' plastic windows???
  • dadsarmy
    Options
    Thanks for the cling film tip.

Short term reason for wanting casement windows is so that they shut properly and therefore keep out sound. Long term reason would be less maintenance required with PVCu.
  • sashman
    First Post
    Options
    dadsarmy wrote: »
    Sashman, many thanks for the reply and useful information.

I agree our row of terraces with wood sash windows look better than the next terrace with top hung windows and fake sash horns on them.

Being a slim tallish terrace we open windows or/and a door at the back and the whole house sort of breathes OK.

I assumed that top hung windows having less sealing areas than wood or PVCu sash would be better for noise reduction. We will certainly give thought to replacement PVCu sash at the front "pub side" with laminated glass one side.

We reckon, sash windows will provide 16 air changes per house, "building regs compliant" casements just 2,8 per hour yet the regs require a minimium of 4 (so sash windows are 4 times better at refreshing stale air than the regulations suggest.

Your point about casements is true, with compression seals casements should reduce noise, HOWEVER casements windows need vents, ugly slots in the frame to ventilate rooms {currently SASH windows dont) and NOISE comes straight through these vents

I wouldnt ever have vents in my windows because I like the quiet.

sashman
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• dadsarmy
    Options
    Hey - Our draughty wood sash windows have vents as well
  • sashman
    First Post
    Options
    then you'll get MORE than your fair share of fresh air!!!!!

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't you just block up the existing vents and then ventilate manually by opening windows when it's quiet outside? Also have your tried contacting your local council's environmental health department? They can liaise with the pub and get the sound levels reduced or insist on sound proofing being installed. This has been achieved in my area which is a city centre.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • dadsarmy
    Options
    Thanks for advice Fire fox

I will block up the vents before winter

Pub noise is more of car doors slamming friendly beep beeping to mates in car park beer garden when arriving leaving by car or/and I got a car horn for Xmas etc etc
  • sashman
    First Post
    Options
    dadsarmy wrote: »
    Thanks for advice Fire fox

I will block up the vents before winter

Pub noise is more of car doors slamming friendly beep beeping to mates in car park beer garden when arriving leaving by car or/and I got a car horn for Xmas etc etc

DO BE CAREFUL.......

vents (even though I detest them) are there for a purpose. Yes most normal people block them, but remember most modern homes are sealed boxes and need some air, but most important air is needed to feed the gas boilers and ventilate rooms that may have gas fires etc.

Trouble is , governments dont think people wont operate windows , suffer from poor air, buildings condensate and get damp, and occupants lumber the NHS with chest complaints........

Just operate windows the way they were designed to ventilate, and fit sash windows (PVC or wood) because they ventilate much better than casements.

sashman

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure