Just had triplets and need some saving advice please

Options
Hello all, first time on this forum and hoping for some advice.

My wife and I have just had three beautiful children and we are looking at ways to start saving for them, we have been giving a fair amount of money as gifts for them and we want to try and make it work as hard as we can for them.

Idealy we don't want anything that will tie us in for a long period of time, in this current climate we never know when we might actually need to dip into it, 18 nappies per day aint cheap!

We are both quite new to the savings game, so we would appreciate any advice on what's best. Some people have said ISA's, some have said open three ISA's in three names others have said just open one, others have said various savings accounts but at the moment we are just a bit lost with it all.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Neil

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    N77 wrote: »
    Hello all, first time on this forum and hoping for some advice.

My wife and I have just had three beautiful children and we are looking at ways to start saving for them, we have been giving a fair amount of money as gifts for them and we want to try and make it work as hard as we can for them.

Idealy we don't want anything that will tie us in for a long period of time, in this current climate we never know when we might actually need to dip into it, 18 nappies per day aint cheap!

We are both quite new to the savings game, so we would appreciate any advice on what's best. Some people have said ISA's, some have said open three ISA's in three names others have said just open one, others have said various savings accounts but at the moment we are just a bit lost with it all.
    Congratulations!

Forget ISAs - the minimum age for a Cash ISA is 16 years.
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    N77,
    Congrats, must be something in the water were you live.

They can't have ISA's in their own name for a while yet, 16 last I checked. Otherwise you will have to use your own ISA allowance, 3,600 per tax year each.
    If you open trustee savings A/C's they are free of tax (to a limit)

Best of luck sleeping.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Martin also has recommendations here
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 June 2009 at 4:09PM
    Options
    18 nappies a day!!! i think your deluding yourself, double it and you'll be somewhere nearer.;) just because mummy and daddy say 'you will have six nappies a day each' doesnt mean that they will do as they are told :p

And many, many congratulations. :T:T
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on the safe birth of your three babies:T:T

My wife and i had twin girls this (one on the 28th of this month) this time last year.

We opened a building soc account each for them . And then we opend There child trust fund.

We opend a stockes and shares trust fund for them.
    So thay have the best of both worlds as we thay have chash in the building soc an then money invested on the markets in there trust fund.

Hope that you all have a very happy life together as a family.

All the very best to each of you
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure