Diary of a single mum desperate to save for a holiday

Options
Hi

Having lurked here for a while I have now decided to post in order to inspire me to save for a much needed holiday..

I am a single mum to three kids, DS 18, DD1 15 and DD2 5, I very carelessly managed to lose both my husband and my job in September :rotfl: so I am currently living on benefits and must admit I have found it very hard to adjust to the drop in income. After all the stress of the last 9 months I really need something to look forward to and to aim for and as I haven't had a holiday for a few years have decided this will be my focus.

I would like to take DD1 and DD2 on a luxury holiday, not necessarily abroad, but just one where we don't have to watch the spending money, and can just have a great time.

I have no idea how much it will cost so I will set a target of £2000. No idea of how long it's going to take me to save that much, but hopefully this site and this diary will keep me focused so I get to go away before the kids have grown up and left home :D

So, that's me, I hope you will wish me luck, I have a LONG journey ahead of me!

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just be careful because savings can change benefits amounts.
  • teddyoops
    Options
    Oh, I never thought of that, I'll have to look into what the limits are.. Mind you by the time I get to any sort of substantial amount, I think I will have retired!
  • teddyoops
    Options
    It appears the limit is £6000 (thank you google) if you claim IS, so I think I'm safe! lol
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a budget?

Do you charge your DS rent?
  • teddyoops
    Options
    Yes I write down all my weekly outgoings and income, but I always seem to have to "move" things. It's unexpected things that crop up that mess me up, like having to pay for DD2's school trip £14.50!

DS pays £150 pm, which pays his share of the rent and council tax, plus money towards food. He only earns £600 pm, so can't afford to pay any more. The trouble is, he's terrible at budgeting and always ends up asking me to lend him money inbetween paydays!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure