Working out gross interest on savings??

Options
I need to fill out a form for the tax man. I need to enter the gross interest on my savings, but only have the net amount infomation. Would I be right in thinking that I multiply this figure by 4 and divide by 5? I'm a basic rate taxpayer. Thanks.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    * 1.25 is how I do it...

But divide by 4, * 5 will work.

You want to go from 80% -> 100%. 80 /4 = 20, *5 = 100
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops!! I got it the wrong way round then - so it's divide by 4 then multiply by 5?
  • Lokolo
    Options
    soba wrote: »
    Oops!! I got it the wrong way round then - so it's divide by 4 then multiply by 5?

Yep. :):cool:
  • trynsave
    trynsave Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not that I can really remember that far back, as I have been a non-tax payer for a decade now, but aren't the banks supposed to provide a Certificate of Interest for all a/c's on which interest was received?

They used to be produced automatically at the end of the tax year and detailed gross and net amts for tax return use.
  • Lokolo
    Options
    Yep goodness knows I have so much paperwork I can't remember. Although I do remember I get one from Lloyds every year.
  • ShelleyC_2
    ShelleyC_2 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    trynsave wrote: »
    Not that I can really remember that far back, as I have been a non-tax payer for a decade now, but aren't the banks supposed to provide a Certificate of Interest for all a/c's on which interest was received?

They used to be produced automatically at the end of the tax year and detailed gross and net amts for tax return use.

Yup they do - strangely though one of my internet bank accounts has in its info " we will be unable to supply this until August" so I worked that one out myself!
    Looking for the perfect home and saving to make becoming a MFW easier
    MFiT3 48103/50000 Saved So Far :j
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    trynsave wrote: »
    aren't the banks supposed to provide a Certificate of Interest for all a/c's on which interest was received?

I did get a certificate, but due to my rather chaotic filing system it's been mislaid. I worked out the net interest from my bank statements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure