What shall I do with 5 grand

Options
Any ideas of what to do with 5 grand that I saved up to put towards
my mortgage till I found out it would only save me £34 a month!!!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Over how many months is this £34 a month saving ? 5k tied up in a fixed rate bond say with an interest rate of 3-4% would only be earning you between £10-15 a month so your automatically £19-24 a month better of by paying it of the mortgage and its 5k you have to pay eventually.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pam smith,
    If you have no emergency savings then you need to allocate the 5K in an instant access, or at most 30 day notice A/C. Have you used your cash ISA this year.

Otherwise pay down your mortgage. Even using the 34 quid as an overpayment if possible. An overpayment each year of 400 becomes 2K in 5years, think about it.

Interest rates can only go up from here. Debts have to be cleared sooner or later. Avoiding that simple reality is why so many people are in it right now.

Best of fortune.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    What rate is the rate on your mortgage?

If the rate is higher than you will receive on savings accounts (and you don't want a contingency fund) then it is still better to reduce the mortgage debt (assuming no penalties for doing so).

Instead of reducing your monthly payment why not ask them if they would reduce the term instead? Then work out how much more than £5k that will get you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure