PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chicken stock question 'edit' & another!

Tibbie's_mum
Tibbie's_mum Posts: 998 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 1 June 2009 at 10:47AM in Old style MoneySaving
When making chicken stock, do you throw in the skin as well?

I have been, but I don't know if that's right or not?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't but thats only my preferance I always remove chicken skin from the chook anyway as its just full of fat
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I do. It is entirely up to you;)
  • aliballi
    aliballi Posts: 91 Forumite
    If you are after tasty add it, if you want healthy don't, although you could always add a small amount, for the best of both.
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Tibbie's_mum Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2009 at 10:39AM
    Thanks JackieO and Thriftlady.

Thanks aliballi, I going with your suggestion for my next pot of stock.

Another question with regards to stock, once you've got it on the boil you're s'ppose to skim off the scum on the top, is this vital, as i didn't do it last time and it was cloudy?
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2009 at 1:14PM
    Add it. Once you stock is cold the fat sits on the surface. You can skim it all off no problem.

In answer to your 2nd question. I don't skim the scum off. My pot is normally too full to get a clear run at it.
  • columbine75
    columbine75 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Bongedone - I concur. Stick it in the fridge and it's easier to get off as it's more solid. I have a skimmer spoon (large, round and full of little holes) I use for this.

To get a clear stock (who cares, really), strain through fine muslin, put back in a clean pan and whisk in an egg white with the crushed egg shell, strain again - that's what all the books say, I've never tried it, I just strain it through the muslin normally, clear stock - pah, who needs that!
    Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead. (Louisa May Alcott)
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    I put it in and then when the stock has gone to jelly I take most of the fat layer off, leave a few wee bits on for taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure