sending to different address query

Options
I just had someone win an auction, then pay very promptly for an item but then emailed me saying post it to a different address.

If I am correct this is against the rules and I would need to refund it, have the buyer add the new paypal address on and then send another invoice.

So how do I go about this? Do I go do the refund in paypal now or do I have to go through a link on ebay or something?

And what happens regarding the listing and final value fees paid?

thanks

Comments

• jo1967
    jo1967 Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    I sometimes ask for things to be sent to another address. I get the odd thing for my mum, pay by paypal & on check out request it be sent to my mums address (explaining who she is). If this is ebay illegal I had no idea & I have never had a problem having things sent to her address either!

What is making you suspicious? Is it a high priced item? Providing you get proof of postage, as always, I cant see what the problem is.
    NEVER ASSUME! :rolleyes:
  • colony
    colony Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    If they paid by paypal, and you do not send via the registered address, you are not covered by paypal's seller protection.

I.e. if buyer says item did not arrive and tracking code is to different address, you will lose any dispute.

At the same time, the seller protection ain't so great anyway, so unless its a high-value item, and you think the buyer isn't too dodgy I would just send it.

I've done this before and it turned out fine, but there are no guarentees.
    Wins: Avene Protective Hydrating Cream; 2 x Calvin harris Tickets @ iTunes Festival.

Debts: Student Loan £14207.93; Graduate Loan £400 ; Car loan £19000
  • durham_girl
    durham_girl Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Options
    I've done it before and it's been fine. Check the buyers feedback, if it looks ok I would just do it, unless it's a high value item. Keep the POP and if it gets lost, claim from RM.
    :j30/7/10:j

:j24/1/14 :j
  • jo1967
    jo1967 Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    colony wrote: »
    If they paid by paypal, and you do not send via the registered address, you are not covered by paypal's seller protection.

I.e. if buyer says item did not arrive and tracking code is to different address, you will lose any dispute.

At the same time, the seller protection ain't so great anyway, so unless its a high-value item, and you think the buyer isn't too dodgy I would just send it.

I've done this before and it turned out fine, but there are no guarentees.

Thats an interesting point! I normally do the change of postal address through paypal & not via an email - does that mean the seller is covered as I did it through paypal?
    NEVER ASSUME! :rolleyes:
  • so2006
    so2006 Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    jo1967 wrote: »
    Thats an interesting point! I normally do the change of postal address through paypal & not via an email - does that mean the seller is covered as I did it through paypal?

Yep the seller would be covered.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hang on, hang on, no-one's covered by paypal for anything if you don't send to the address on the PP payment.

RM will cover you wherever, as long as you have PoP.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure