Can partner claim sick pay???

Options
My partner had serious hand injury a year ago, He got made redundant in December, since then he has been on JSA, this is due to finish in July, We will not get any help due to my income, He has now found out he needs another operation on hand, This will be done in 2-3 months apparantly, Can he now go on sick with this and if so will he get sick pay regardless of my income? None of us have ever claimed before so we are at a total loss as to how this works, Thank You in advance.:beer:

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    He will be able to claim ESA, which is the new sickness benefit, but whether he will actually get paid will depend on if he satisfies the Contribution conditions.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My partner had serious hand injury a year ago, He got made redundant in December, since then he has been on JSA, this is due to finish in July, We will not get any help due to my income, He has now found out he needs another operation on hand, This will be done in 2-3 months apparantly, Can he now go on sick with this and if so will he get sick pay regardless of my income? None of us have ever claimed before so we are at a total loss as to how this works, Thank You in advance.:beer:
    If you want to give more details such as your income and whether you have children etc we maybe able to advise you further.
  • juliecallum
    juliecallum Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Sure, I earn £9000 per year and receive ctc and wtc, I have one child, we have a mortgage but NO debt(Thank God), Child is 8 years old, no child care as nana does the babysitting and school run, Is that enough info......
  • juliecallum
    Options
    ESA wrote: »
    He will be able to claim ESA, which is the new sickness benefit, but whether he will actually get paid will depend on if he satisfies the Contribution conditions.

Does Contribution conditions mean NI, If so that should be fine as he has not been out of work in the 14 years we have been together, He always went to sea but came ashore when little one was born, Got a job within 2 weeks in factort and has worked ever since, I have worked since I left school, so all this is new to us and very scary........
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    He should be ok then.

It will just be a matter of getting the claim in as soon as possible. If he is unable to make the claim over the phone himself then I would suggest requesting a claim form or downloading one from the internet. This can then be filled in and sent will any evidence required.
  • juliecallum
    Options
    ESA wrote: »
    He should be ok then.

It will just be a matter of getting the claim in as soon as possible. If he is unable to make the claim over the phone himself then I would suggest requesting a claim form or downloading one from the internet. This can then be filled in and sent will any evidence required.

Thats a relief, Thank You, I did not even know what ESA was, It is a good job I came on here, I probably would of been running around in circles, not even knowing what form to ask for. Thank You for your help:T
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sure, I earn £9000 per year and receive ctc and wtc, I have one child, we have a mortgage but NO debt(Thank God), Child is 8 years old, no child care as nana does the babysitting and school run, Is that enough info......
    Sounds like you are getting everything, though if your DH gets CBESA I think it counts as income for TC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure