Telephone extension sockets help

Options
I am currently with VM for landline/tv/BB and have 1 master socket in the living room and 1 working extension socket in the main bedroom. However, we had an additional 2 extension sockets fitted by them in the other 2 bedrooms back in the days of dial-up, but they had to be disconnected from the box outside of the house, after some problem a few years back

In the next couple of weeks, i will be moving to an ADSL provider. I currently have an inactive BT socket in the living room, which will be getting re-activated

Question is:
Will i be able to get the engineer to hook up the disconnected VM extension sockets up to the BT connection, so i can use it as a BT extension socket in the other bedrooms...and thus have the router closer to the old and slow desktop PC's upstairs:confused:

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have an intact BT master socket and BT line , then it shouldn't be necessary for an engineer to visit-they will simply reconnect your line at the exchange.
    If they do visit for some reason, this extension work would not be included, as the extensions are not BT's responsibility-though of course you could always try to come to a private arangement with the engineer.
    If not then I suggest you get an independent engineer to do it, as BT will charge you an arm and a leg for this kind of work-at least twice what an independent will charge.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    I can't believe you are moving from Cable Broadband to xDSL - this is no 'upgrade' (quite the opposite) and you'll notice an immediate drop in speed (like for like) along with higher contention rates.
  • BernardM
    BernardM Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2009 at 10:26AM
    Options
    The_One wrote: »
    I am currently with VM for landline/tv/BB and have 1 master socket in the living room and 1 working extension socket in the main bedroom. However, we had an additional 2 extension sockets fitted by them in the other 2 bedrooms back in the days of dial-up, but they had to be disconnected from the box outside of the house, after some problem a few years back

In the next couple of weeks, i will be moving to an ADSL provider. I currently have an inactive BT socket in the living room, which will be getting re-activated

Question is:
    Will i be able to get the engineer to hook up the disconnected VM extension sockets up to the BT connection, so i can use it as a BT extension socket in the other bedrooms...and thus have the router closer to the old and slow desktop PC's upstairs:confused:

Have you thought about these around the house.
    http://www.devolo.com/downloads/media/devolo-dlan-com.swf
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    I can't believe you are moving from Cable Broadband to xDSL - this is no 'upgrade' (quite the opposite) and you'll notice an immediate drop in speed (like for like) along with higher contention rates.

Reading through VM's newsgroups there are many people not happy with the speeds they are getting from cable as their UBR is over-subscribed or they are getting hit by the unfair STM, many seem to be moving line over to BT and going for BE for broadband.

Cable is great until you find yourself in an oversubscribed area, and hasn't been quite so great since the heavy-handed throttling.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    I moved from VMs over priced 2mb £18 package to O2 upto 8mb for £7.50 and im very happy with it.
  • meinnit
    meinnit Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2009 at 9:50PM
    Options
    Pssst wrote: »
    I moved from VMs over priced 2mb £18 package to O2 upto 8mb for £7.50 and im very happy with it.
    Same here. I moved from the £25 a month 10MB broadband to O2's up to 20MB broadband for £18 for a year! (after cashback)

Virgin was getting slower by the day. They just aren't the same as the old Telewest/BY days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure