OS'ers who keep your house nice and clean...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
39 replies 3.5K views

Replies

• julietiffjulietiff Forumite
    747 Posts
    2 of my silly dogs love catching flies:rolleyes: very funny to see them
    leaping around snapping at them:D
  • spinningsheepspinningsheep Forumite
    978 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    OMG you should see my cat Elvis trying to get flies. he jumps 5 ft vertical in the air bless him! Ive found over the last few days in the dead hot weather, Ive had my french doors open in the lounge and the kitchen doors and windows too, and this week I have had loads of nasty big bluebottles coming in, and these tiny little flies that insist on doing circuits round my light fitting, almost as if they are mating! Annoy the hell out of me, so, I went to Wilkinsons and bought a couple of fly repeller things, one to hang on the curtain pole, and the other thing that you pull up to open more or less,depending on your tastes, that lasts up to 2 months, and thus far, touch wood, they seem to be staying well away!
  • maggie111maggie111 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Whilst a clean/tidy house makes no difference to the number of spiders I'm guessing - what will make a difference is the regular removal of their houses.

If you let spiders run amok, build little bits of web wherever they choose, it makes sense that they're more visible, and more comfortable dangling off the ceiling in front of you. Regular dusting (even something as simple as having a grotty spider web duster you use only to break the webs up) will leave them lurking in the corners, never daring to venture out... which in my opinion is as good as having them gone!!

Spiders taste on their feet, so wiping the walls down with a bit of citronella, should also deter them in wandering around too far.

I'm living in a really old house, and I'm under siege with dusty web things which look like I haven't dusted in years but only seen one spider.
    I love surprises!
  • Just scoop them up in your hand and put them outside.
    Do it quickly and it won't damage them.
    They're not going to hurt you but if they bother you that much it's the easiest way of getting rid of them.
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do flies do that circuit round the light fitting thing.....I was always told that it's because it's the middle of the room.....but in my old house the light fitting was way off to one side and they still congregated under the light.....it's quite freaky.

On the spider note....a conker in each corner of the room is suppose to deter them - can't tell you if it's true or not as I left conkers lying about that the cats rounded them up and shoved them all under the sofa. :D
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • HH62HH62 Forumite
    433 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    What's really odd is that I don't see any webs :confused:
    There was a huge spider just sitting right in the middle of the spare bedroom wall yesterday but I couldn't see any web, looked at the ceiling, the corners and down at the skirting board.

I'm getting the house tidy and clean...it's not that awful, just not keeping on top of it very much.

I've heard about the conkers thing before - I'll be out collecting them as soon as the autumn comes :D
  • jomilnejomilne Forumite
    38 Posts
    Just scoop them up in your hand and put them outside.
    Do it quickly and it won't damage them.
    They're not going to hurt you but if they bother you that much it's the easiest way of getting rid of them.

eeeeeeek! :eek: touch spiders? no way!

the only thing worse than seeing a big spider is when you see one, then look back and its gone.... where did it go? hiding waiting to jump out at me?

(as you can tell, i am TERRIFIED of spiders...)
  • Skint_CattSkint_Catt Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    jomilne wrote: »
    eeeeeeek! :eek: touch spiders? no way!

the only thing worse than seeing a big spider is when you see one, then look back and its gone.... where did it go? hiding waiting to jump out at me?

(as you can tell, i am TERRIFIED of spiders...)

My sentiments exactly!

My housework has been sadly lacking recently and yes I've got quite a few around the place! :eek:
  • I just must be odd as I don't find spiders offensive.In fact if you look at them real close (get a magnifying glass) they are realy fascinating.
    They are a real marvel the way they're made.
    They are good in the house too as they get rid of lots of unwanted guests.
    If we were talking tarantula I'd see your point but dainty little house spiders,even the big one's are'nt that big.
  • edited 4 June 2009 at 12:46PM
    pennystretcherpennystretcher Forumite
    458 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    edited 4 June 2009 at 12:46PM
    Try using lemon scented products when you clean - apparently spiders hate lemon.

Also an amusing way to keep pigeons away - tabasco! I read a story about a farmer who watered his fields with water/tabasco mix in order to keep the pigeons away. I have tried this on couple of window sills where I sometimes get them and it seems to work - weirdly enough... :cool:

ps. comment added later to this post - maggie - just realised you already mentioned citronella...I didn't realise spiders taste through their feet though...eeeek, weird!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides