British Gas have got it wrong but they think not!

TheV5
TheV5 Posts: 17 Forumite
Hi All,

Long story short, I was advised by them to do meter readings each day as I disputed the amount of the last electric bill I got (£456 for 3 months). I did this for a number of weeks until the end of February as I had to go to my parents as my Mother was taken ill and sadly passed away on the 1st March. Therefore, as my Father is disabled and 81 years old, I have been staying there quite a bit; 3 - 4 days a week.

So along comes my next bill for a period of 70 days from 18th February to the 28th April. I did an actual meter reading on the 28th April and sent it through to British Gas. The bill is for £278 for 70 days! They claim they did an actual meter reading on the 18th February and state it was 35390 whereas my records show a reading of 37199. So I have used about 530 units in this period, they claim a usage in the region of 2300 units.

I have got on to them about this and they are adamant that their reading is correct and have started to threaten me with cutting me off and taking legal action to recover the money.

Can anybody give me any advice on this as I am talking to a blank wall with this lot.

Thanks everybody.

Sorry, a bit longer than shorter!!!

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well if they say they took an actual reading, then there are a couple of possibilities.

1. Either you or they have misread the meter (it's unlikely that a professional meter reader would misread a meter, possible but unlikely). Is the meter a newer type with a simple number to read off, or is it the older type that has a number of dials you need to read to get the actual meter reading? Owners often mis-read this older type of meter.

or, and this is more probable:
    2. The meter reader has read a different meter to you. This is common in flats etc where a number of meters are located centrally and them being mixed up is not uncommon. Check the meter number on the bill & check it corresponds to the meter you are reading. If not check the meter you are reading is actually yours. If it is then contact the supplier and inform them of the error.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is the reading for 18th February on the previous bill? The reading should be the same so that the bill follows on.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Is it an economy 7 one? They have 2 readings.

When I moved in where I am I took a reading ... and had no clue/idea that I needed to press a button and go through several readings for two different values.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can you see the meter number on the bill?
    Can you see that number on your actual meter?
  • TheV5
    The meter number and the number I have on the bill are the same. The meter type is a simple digital read out with one number. I have a number of readings from the end of Jan. to the end of Feb. I did a spreadsheet with one reading in the morning and one reading in the evening. All the other readings I have are consistant with this days reading.

Good point about looking at the previous bill. I have just found an old bill (not even the last one) out and the meter reading they have on that is higher than the reading from British Gas by some 900 units!

Well, I guess that settles that.

Thanks everybody.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    TheV5 wrote: »
    ...Good point about looking at the previous bill. I have just found an old bill (not even the last one) out and the meter reading they have on that is higher than the reading from British Gas by some 900 units!...

Is that reading on the earlier bill estimated?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Surely all that matters is the present reading?

BG's reading on 18 Feb was 35390 and your reading was 37199. However from what I understand on 28 April you say the reading was approx 37729( i.e.530 above your reading).

Regardless of who was correct on 18 Feb you have to pay for a bill for 28 April based on 37729.

If you were correct in your reading it simply means that your bill from BG to 18 Feb was approx 1800 units too little.

Or have I missed something?
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cardew wrote: »
    Surely all that matters is the present reading?

BG's reading on 18 Feb was 35390 and your reading was 37199. However from what I understand on 28 April you say the reading was approx 37729( i.e.530 above your reading).

Regardless of who was correct on 18 Feb you have to pay for a bill for 28 April based on 37729.

If you were correct in your reading it simply means that your bill from BG to 18 Feb was approx 1800 units too little.

Or have I missed something?
    This is what I was try to get at in post #3 above (but just not very well). That is what it sounds like to me too :confused:
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yeah you need to pay for all units from the end reading of the last bill to the present reading. An intermediate reading like this makes no difference...
  • TheV5
    At the end of the day I have got a bill, billing me for a period from the 18th February to the 28th April. British Gas give an actual meter reading of 35390 on the 18th February and an actual meter reading of 37728 on the 28th April. The meter reading they have taken on the 18th February (35390) is incorrect as I was taking daily meter readings for a week or two before and after the 18th February and state my actual meter reading on the 18th February was 37199.

Therefore, British Gas are charging me for 2338 units where as I have only used 529 units for the period that they are billing me for (18th February – 28th April).

I have got an old bill dated at the end of last year on which British Gas give an actual meter reading 36224. Meaning that there reading on the 18th February was incorrect as I’m sure meters don’t run backwards.

I now have two letters from British Gas. One says they accept my meter reading on the 18th February and I will be issued with a new bill and another letter maintains there reading of 35390 is correct! I have also received a new bill for £610.20 for the period from 7th August 2008 to 18th February 2009. However, I have already paid for this period.

Something is very wrong with their meter readings and billing as I used to spend around £400 a year for electricity and now seem to get bills for £600 for 6 months electric usage. There is nothing that I am doing different at home with regards to prior years electric usage and I was with British Gas then. I don’t trust them an inch and feel as though they are making it up as they are going along!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure