NHS Job interview!!!

Options
Hi,

I've got a job interview at NHS on monday for the position of Administrative Assistant. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience? Would I have to do a presentation/in tray exercise/any sorts of test?

It doesnt say much about the interview in the letter - just that it will consist of the manager and the officer!!

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thank you!!!

Comments

• mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Aimme,

I started work 3 months ago with the NHS as Ward Clerk. Had my interview in January, it was just a normal interview - no presentations ot tests - I was asked how I would cope in various situations.

I did get 2 interviews previously for admin roles which I chose not to attend as the area was too far away - they wanted a typing test which was just simple copy typing I believe.

Don't worry yourself too much about it, it was by far the best interview I have had as I found the private sector interviews more testing.

Which Trust will you hopefully be working for?

Good luck for Monday and let us know how you get on.
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • amiee123
    Options
    Hey!! Thank you SO much for the reply! You know you said they will ask how i would cope in various situations...do you mean they will ask questions like ''describe a time when you worked in a team etc''...or do you mean simple questions like ''how do you think you will cope in a fast faced environment etc..''

thank you so much for the advice! its just that the interview is the day before my exam (ah!) and i dont have much time to prepare for it at all!!

hope you are enjoying the sun!

thank u!!:p
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't had an NHS interview yet (mine is on Tuesday!) but most large organisations seem to have gone over to the "describe a time when ....." style of questioning.

Oh, and I've been pre-warned that I have a typing test scheduled before the actual interview.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • amiee123
    Options
    Hiya Tigsteronnie! good luck for your interview on tuesday!! what position is it for? hopefully the intervew isnt gonna be competency based as i hate them!! :rolleyes:

• Charlie1986
    Charlie1986 Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've had 2 interviews with the nhs now. They gave examples of situations and asked what I would do in them. Also questions like, 'what is your understanding of confidentiality'. I was really worried about them but all went fine. Hope you get on ok x
    Virgin CC=£2652, Next= [STRIKE]£102.88,[/STRIKE] Very=£475.60, Natwest=£800, Sainsburys CC=£1777.02, Lloyds CC=£498.29, Lloyds Loan= £13,946.18, Car=£4000Total = [STRIKE]£26,147.23[/STRIKE] £23,849.09:eek:
  • tece
    tece Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I would be very surprised if you have a test. Usually this will not be the case if it's not in the invite to interview letter.
    As it's the NHS I would think there will be scenario questions, so you will have to put yourself in the situation and state what you would do even if you haven't been in it. You need to be able to think on your feet to do well in these type of interviews.
    Good luck and if you don't get the job make sure that you request feedback as this will be invaluable for future applications.
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I went for a library assistant job at the NHS, I had to sort out the books into what I thought was the right order and then type them up on to a spreadsheet. I actually put them in the wrong order but because there was some kind of logic to it, they were happy enough and I got the job anyway.

I've got another interview coming up for a clerk/typist and they've said i'll have to do a typing test.

I wouldn't worry about tests anyway, they're just a great way to show off how good you are :)
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • amiee123
    Options
    thank you everyone for your replies! i am less worried about the interview now!! hopefully it will go well :rotfl:thank uuu!!
  • mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Aimee,

How did the interview go?
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • henm01
    henm01 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Slightly off topic but any advice on how long before you hear whether you have been successful with a NHS job application? I have applied for a couple of jobs (only last week) and just curious if they takes ages to respond, if they do at all?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport