How long before re-applying for the same card?

Options
Hello Moneysavers!

I applied for an Abbey Zero (for foreign travel money only) back in early November, and was rejected. Whilst I didn't think my credit rating at the time was bad, I had recently opened a Halifax One which had a large balance on it, had moved home (and maybe wasn't on the electoral roll yet) and started a new job - all things that didn't help!

I'm looking to go abroad again in a few months time, and as the Abbey Zero is back, I'd like to apply, but wanted to get advice on whether enough time has past to make it likely to work?

I've moved again, but I AM on the electoral role, and I've been in my current job 8 months. I have £1000 current debt now on the One card, with £5500 total available credit across it and a Barclaycard Cashback (it's dd'd every month in full). Salary is about 2150 per month gross. I looked at my rating via one of the free trials, and didn't see anything bad there.

Is there any other information that would help? Does it make a difference if apply in a branch/online/by phone?

Thank you all!

Comments

• MartinSpoon
    MartinSpoon Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh! Also worth saying, that's the only CC I've been refused (as far as I can remember!!!)
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    The moves will temporarily disrupt your credit rating, as I think you realise. Lenders like stability, so best practice is to apply for credit facilities, where possible, before you move/change jobs/change banks. Being with the same employer, bank and current address for a while, all help when applying for credit. Basically, the longer you stay put the better, as far as your credit rating is concerned.
    Does it make a difference if apply in a branch/online/by phone?

I've no recent experience of Abbey but, from feedback here, you would be best advised to apply in branch. Online applications are often subject to long delays, apparently. That said, lenders use the same criteria whichever route you take, so your chances of success are the same.
    Is there any other information that would help?

For tips to improve your chances of acceptance, have a look at the *Credit Rating: how it works and how to improve it guide*, especially Martin's *Manage and Improve your credit score* article ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score#improve
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • MartinSpoon
    MartinSpoon Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Moggles. Unfortunately, having been a student, then being forced to move around with work, I haven't had the same address for a period of more than 9 months in the past 5 years!!!

Been in my current address 2 months now - so I guess I'll just wait as long as possible. Another problem is telling them about all the past addresses - I lose track of everywhere I've lived and for how long at a time sometimes :rotfl: From what I can tell, if I have any concerns, that's the main one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure