Please advise - wages short by £200+

Options
j-bean60
j-bean60 Posts: 95 Forumite
Hi, I hope someone is able to advise me what to do. I'm sorry if this is a bit longwinded.

Basically, my husband was underpaid last month by £122.72. He spoke to his boss at the time who promised he would have it "within the next week", but when he spoke to him again he was told he would have to wait till he got paid at the end of May. (He works for a large international company, not a small local employer.)

So, yesterday he had his May payslip. This is what it shows:

Salary 1329.47
Absence 122.72 CR
Holiday 122.72
Unpd Leave 122.72 CR
Overtime 69.06

Gross Pay 1275.81

BUT, I think his gross pay should be £1521.25 (i.e. salary + holiday + overtime). The "holiday" part of the above is a reversal of the amount he was underpaid last month, but WHY have they then deducted it again twice?

I am so annoyed. He doesn't seem to understand what I am saying and I get so frustrasted - we had a huge row last night about it. I have sent him off with a flea in his ear today to speak to his boss again. We cannot afford to wait another month for this money - the balance of our holiday is due to be paid next week. He doesn't like confrontations so I'm not sure how he'll get on. I've threatened to phone his boss myself if nothing is done now. I've even threatened to phone ACAS to get advice.

Do you think I'm right?
Are we entitled to receive this shortfall now, rather than wait till the end of June?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:
There We Are Then !! ;)

Comments

• LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    The payslip seems to suggest that he is being deducted from some unpaid leave.

I.e System automatically adds holiday pay. one credit to cancel it and then another to take off the unpaid leave.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    If he works for a large worldwide company then he needs to go to the wages or finance department, not his boss. His boss will just pass the message to wages who wll probably mis understand and get it wrong again - my husband goes straight to wages when there is a problem (and there are many!!), and they are in a different part of the country. Can you send an email to them?

Your hubby's boss will not be able to give him the money - if it is a large company the boss will not be in control of the money. Sorting it means he'll speak to finance and then he will either forget or get it wrong - you are getting cross at the wrong people. It'll have to be authorised so go to wages directly as then you'll get the answers.

Can he ask for a 'loan' from HR or wages to tide him over til it get's sorted out?
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2009 at 9:25AM
    Options
    They haven't deducted it twice, they have credited it twice and deducted it once meaning they have actually credited the amount once. It is correct.

Ignore what the payments are called just look at the figures:

+122
    +122
    = 244
    then
    =122

Your husband has received an overall credit (CR) of £122. they didn't deduct anything from last months wages, they simply didn't pay it at all so this is the figure he is entitled to isn't it?

What was his net pay? You can go to a salary calculator and satisfy yourself that it's correct by comparing the figures, but I think you are misinterpreting the payslip.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • j-bean60
    Options
    liney wrote: »
    They haven't deducted it twice, they have credited it twice and deducted it once meaning they have actually credited the amount once. It is correct.

Ignore what the payments are called just look at the figures:

+122
    +122
    = 244
    then
    =122

Your husband has received an overall credit (CR) of £122. they didn't deduct anything from last months wages, they simply didn't pay it at all so this is the figure he is entitled to isn't it?

What was his net pay? You can go to a salary calculator and satisfy yourself that it's correct by comparing the figures, but I think you are misinterpreting the payslip.

His payslips are hard to understand, but I know from experience that the CR means a debit (i.e. they have deducted this amount off his total). So, two debits of 122 and one credit of 122 = Minus 122. They did deduct the £122 last month. Last month's payslip showed Salary 1329, Unpd Leave 122 = gross pay £1207. I have got his tax and NI details so I think I will go to a salary calculator.
    Thanks for your replies.
    There We Are Then !! ;)
    Options
    Normally correct but if the OP has typed it all correctly the 2 x 122.72 CR seem to be deducted from the salary and then added on once. i.e one deduction of 122.72.

granted why they are using CR for deductions. Cant help but think the OP has mistyped
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The CR for deductions is an accountancy thing, DR (debit) is used for additions - I should be revising double entry book keeping at the moment, not on here! :o
  • j-bean60
    Options
    Hi again.
    No mis-types. The payslip is definitely set out as my opening post, so two debits, one credit. Also one debit last month.
    This is my thinking:

One debit April of £122.72
    One credit May of £122.72 cancel each other out

But then another two debits of £122.72 in May means they owe him £245.44.

Am I being dense? :confused:
    There We Are Then !! ;)
  • j-bean60
    Options
    Cazza wrote: »
    The CR for deductions is an accountancy thing, DR (debit) is used for additions - I should be revising double entry book keeping at the moment, not on here! :o

Thanks. Good luck with the revising!
    There We Are Then !! ;)
    Options
    j-bean60 wrote: »
    Hi again.
    No mis-types. The payslip is definitely set out as my opening post, so two debits, one credit. Also one debit last month.
    This is my thinking:

One debit April of £122.72
    One credit May of £122.72 cancel each other out

But then another two debits of £122.72 in May means they owe him £245.44.

Am I being dense? :confused:

Tbh without seeing both payslips and knowing the full details of the day off its impossible to say

I dont think you are understanding the stuff properly in all honesty
  • j-bean60
    Options
    If he works for a large worldwide company then he needs to go to the wages or finance department, not his boss. His boss will just pass the message to wages who wll probably mis understand and get it wrong again - my husband goes straight to wages when there is a problem (and there are many!!), and they are in a different part of the country. Can you send an email to them?

Your hubby's boss will not be able to give him the money - if it is a large company the boss will not be in control of the money. Sorting it means he'll speak to finance and then he will either forget or get it wrong - you are getting cross at the wrong people. It'll have to be authorised so go to wages directly as then you'll get the answers.

Can he ask for a 'loan' from HR or wages to tide him over til it get's sorted out?

I know it's difficult when messages get passed from one person to another but that's the way his company works unfortunately. I appreciate what you're saying. I'm not even sure where in the country the wages department is based. If all else fails I may do as you suggest and e-mail them myself. I know I'm getting cross at the wrong people, but can't help myself, especially when he is being a prat himself! Not sure about the loan. If it was the company I work for they would just recalculate the wages and pay the difference immediately.
    There We Are Then !! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport