Advice Needed Please RE Faulty Car

Options
Hi, im new to this site so i hope i am posting in right section????

I bought a car in August 2008 from my local dealers, car was an ex demo, it went back in within the first couple of months for a couple of faults. Since then it has been back in this is the 8th time same recurring fault for last few times. I have purchased this car on a finance agreement with the garage, but am getting no help from dealer or finance company (though they quite happily take money out each month). I am not happy with car that it has spent more time in garage than parked outside my house.

Can anyone help me to know where i stand, surely i have some rights, but im stuck because i dont know what they are???

I spoke to trading standards and they said has long as garage is taking back in to garage to repair, there is nothing i can do. Peugeot themself are not interested at all!!:mad:

Please if anyone can give me any advice:confused:

Comments

• LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Well what are the faults etc. age of car. price paid. length of time to repair.

All need to be known.
  • berniebabe
    berniebabe Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, price of car was £15,000 approx i had some outstanding finance from a prebious vehicle, car was 5 months old. First fault was faulty electrics and then after that been in the last 5 times for water getting into the car somewhere and gathering in the passenger footwell. Last time car was in garage for 4 weeks, they delivered it back to me and had to take it straight back becasue the 5 mins from garage to my house the water had reappeared??!! This keeps happening they have now recollected car on Tuesday and im still waiting to hear from them. They said it cant be same recurring fault if this last time there has been a couple of month before it has had to go back in even though its the same fault!!
  • artbaron
    artbaron Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Options
    My advice is take it to a reputable garage. Of course it will cost you but surely that's better than having these monkeys fool with your car for months on end to no benefit. Four weeks is outrageous - I've had a car stripped to the shell and rebuilt in half that time.
  • berniebabe
    berniebabe Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    It is a reputable garage they are Peugeot dealers, car being fixed under warranty!!
  • scullster
    scullster Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    berniebabe wrote: »
    It is a reputable garage they are Peugeot dealers, car being fixed under warranty!!

I really beg to differ from personal experience, just because they are a dealer doesn't make them reputable. I've been having my cars serviced by garages for over 15y and the bad experiences are always with the dealers. You may get the occasional expert at a dealer but in the main, I've found that they rely heavily on what the electronic service manual tells them as opposed to engineering instinct.

I had a similar fault on a Fiat (and that's another tip based on experience!), went back to Fiat twice under warranty. In the end I took it to a back street independent who quite literally took started taking the car apart - it cost me a day's labour (about £250 back then), by its nature there were no guarantees as he was investigating a fault but he nailed the fault after lunch. He took photos and then effected the repair before taking more photos. It was a manufacturing fault in that a weld had not been correctly finished.

I wrote a nice letter to the stealership [sic], with photos and my mechanics findings, suggested they pay up or I take it to court and the cheque duly arrived. I even managed to get them to take the car to a body shop to get the carpets dried and surface rust beneath the carpet seen to.
  • artbaron
    artbaron Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Options
    berniebabe wrote: »

It's not being fixed, is it? If it was this thread wouldn't exist.

The Peugeot dealership I have experience with were a bunch of incompetent, lazy liars. I opted to pay a reputable garage £800 to fix and service my car rather than let the Peugeot "mechanics" touch it under warranty. I've now used that garage for six years because you know that when you take your car in you're guaranteed to get a sterling job done and what's more you'll get it back exactly when they say, which is never more than a few days for even the biggest job.

Other dealerships have not been much better, and some worse. I wouldn't let one near my car now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport