Unexpectedly high EDF gas bill

Options
Funky_Gibbon
Funky_Gibbon Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 28 May 2009 at 9:31PM in Energy
First a bit of context. I've live alone in a 1-bed first floor flat for about 2 years. In all that time I can count the number of times I've had my central heating on on my fingers because I'm happy enough to put on a jumper or wrap myself in a duvet instead. My cooker is electric and the only other thing that I need to use gas for is to heat my water. I don't even use much hot water at home because I tend to shower at the gym before I go to work and for various reasons I don't have a washing machine in my flat, instead transporting my clothes to my parents and paying them for the cost to their bills.

As you'd expect my gas bills have always been tiny, rarely more than £25 a month.

Today I received an Interim Gas Payment Review letter from EDF saying they are putting up my monthly DD payments to £50.00 from £25.00 based on their review of my previous usage. I've check my account online and they've claimed that I've used 158 units of gas or 4992 kilowatt hours since my last reading 2 months ago. That's at least 10 times as much as normal. They also claim I owe them £172 since my last bill on the 30th March.

I've checked my meter and it's actually only gone up by 14 units since my last reading which (using their formula) I calculate means my bill should be £31 instead. Their reading, which the letter claims is an actual reading, is 144 units higher than what my meter says.

Am I being taken for a ride?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Could this be a neighbour's meter? Does the serial number on the bill match that on the meter?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should consider switching your gas to Ebico. Instead of paying 7.35p for every (with your usage) kWh you would pay 3.675p.

Of course, this has to be balanced by the loss of the £50 dual fuel discount from EDF (I presume you are on their online tariff.) But the convenience of not needing to mess around with direct debits and just paying for actual useage should balance this. (Not to mention the half price gas).
  • Funky_Gibbon
    Funky_Gibbon Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Could this be a neighbour's meter? Does the serial number on the bill match that on the meter?

I've checked and the serial number is the same that has always appeared on my bills but I can't find that number of the meter itself.

KimYeovil wrote: »
    You should consider switching your gas to Ebico. Instead of paying 7.35p for every (with your usage) kWh you would pay 3.675p.

Of course, this has to be balanced by the loss of the £50 dual fuel discount from EDF (I presume you are on their online tariff.) But the convenience of not needing to mess around with direct debits and just paying for actual useage should balance this. (Not to mention the half price gas).

To be honest because my bills have been low I've not been motivated to see whether I could get a better deal elsewhere. This letter though has shocked me into actually looking into how much I'm paying. I'm certainly going to start investigating my options.
  • Upwind
    Upwind Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kim

I've been looking at Ebico myself - can I ask do they have good customer service/billing etc? Their site looks good and it seems that they are customer focused and on the level. As a (soon to be ex) npower customer I am concious that the dual fuel discount is not everything and clarity, good communications and a easy 'get out' clause are equally important. A 'current' customers view would be good.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mick_Steel wrote: »
    Kim

I've been looking at Ebico myself - can I ask do they have good customer service/billing etc? Their site looks good and it seems that they are customer focused and on the level. As a (soon to be ex) npower customer I am concious that the dual fuel discount is not everything and clarity, good communications and a easy 'get out' clause are equally important. A 'current' customers view would be good.

Their accounts are handled by Southern Electric. There has been lots of good feedback about their customer service from satisfied customers in this forum if you do a search.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure