Incorrect benefit payment?

Options
When I got made redundant last year in October I applied for housing and council tax benefits. In order to do this I completed a form and submitted my wife's wage slips along with other proof of redundancy etc. Anyway we were awarded the benefits in a letter dated Nov 08 and addressed to myself. On the letter it stated that due to my weekly income being this and that, the heading is actually "Your weekly income" is £90 etc. I accepted this and never thought any more of this as I assumed their calculations would be accurate and we were duly paid the benefit.
Today I received another letter addressed to myself again advising that the award had been extended but this time the heading differed in that it indicated that the weekly income was joint and as my wife worked full time this immediately rang alarm bells as the weekly income they set was at £90 instead of in the region of £200. The second letter followed a similar format but was a lot clearer and had additional infomation explaining the calculations.
In essence the council had taken by wife's wage slips and assumed that it was a monthly payment and then based their calculations on this figure despite the wage slips clearly indicating that it was a weekly wage slip. We had to submit several wage slips at the time.
Our concern now is that they will be clawing back some of that money but at the moment as I am still unemployed there is no ways we can even afford to pay back 1p a week. Would we be able to bargain with the council to delay paying back any monies considering is them that is at fault and they have admitted it and as soon as we realised there waas an issue we contacted them and nit the other way around.
At present unemployed with no JSA as expired and only the wife's income as a factory worker to support us.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Surfer wrote: »
    At present unemployed with no JSA as expired and only the wife's income as a factory worker to support us.

Don't you get LHA and CTB?
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you get LHA and CTB?

New to this benefits lark. What is LHA and CTB? We don't get tax credits because the wife brings in more than £200 per week which is also the reason I can't get pension credits either.
    Obviously I would prefer to be working but at the moment banging my head up agfainst a wall.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    New to this benefits lark. What is LHA and CTB? We don't get tax credits because the wife brings in more than £200 per week which is also the reason I can't get pension credits either.
    Obviously I would prefer to be working but at the moment banging my head up agfainst a wall.

LHA = Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefits). CTB = Council Tax Benefit

Pension credits? You didn't say you were over 60.
  • Surfer
    Options
    LHA = Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefits). CTB = Council Tax Benefit

Pension credits? You didn't say you were over 60.

Sorry. Should have read when I am 60 in 3 months time I will no get any pension credits either. We do get housing & council tax at the moment but their calculations were based on the assumption that my spouse's weekly wage was a monthly wage which then in their eyes redcued our weekly income resulting in the benefit being paid, i.e. they times the weekly income by 12 instead of 52 and then divided by 48 weeks.
    This is why we are concerned about having being overpaid benefits. They have to now re-calculate and advise if we were entitled to benefits and if we will be entitled to benefits in the future.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    On the letter it stated that due to my weekly income being this and that, the heading is actually "Your weekly income" is £90 etc. I accepted this and never thought any more of this as I assumed their calculations would be accurate and we were duly paid the benefit.

How did you accept that figure when you knew your wife was earning £200 a week?
    Seems a bit odd to me.

I could understand someone just thinking "what the hell, it's their mistake", but to just accept an incorrect figure seems a bit odd.:confused:

Surely you would be expected to know your own household income better than someone to whom you've only sent the figures?
  • Surfer
    Options
    real1314 wrote: »
    How did you accept that figure when you knew your wife was earning £200 a week?
    Seems a bit odd to me.

I could understand someone just thinking "what the hell, it's their mistake", but to just accept an incorrect figure seems a bit odd.:confused:

Surely you would be expected to know your own household income better than someone to whom you've only sent the figures?

How on earth are we supposed to know their guidelines and whether it is odd especially as we assume they are more converse with the system than us as newcomers into the benefits system and that we had supplied them with all the data that they required?
    If you can't add anything constructive crawl back in the hole from whence you came!
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How on earth are we supposed to know their guidelines and whether it is odd especially as we assume they are more converse with the system than us as newcomers into the benefits system and that we had supplied them with all the data that they required?
    If you can't add anything constructive crawl back in the hole from whence you came!

Great, I see we have another charmer, all we need.

There is such a thing as common sense and it seems pretty obvious to me that most people would have thought something was wrong.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options

Surely you don't need to be an expert to know that there's been a mistake when you're notified that your income's £60 and you know it's £200? Basic reading skills are all that's required.

Insulting regular posters who give their time to help people won't endear you to many people!
  • Surfer
    Options
    Read the original post. It was not clear on the original letter received in November 2008 but on the new letter the format is completely different which is why I picked it up. After conversation with the council, it seems that the overpayment is not a great deal.
    BTW I came on here for advice and not to be attacked and called stupid!
  • hermoine_2
    hermoine_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Then be nice and people will be nice back.
    H
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport