Nursery fees question

Options
My 3 kids attend nursey 5 days per week. The nursery used to charge £140 per child per week but this has now gone up to £155.

My daughter (4 years old) is apprently entitled to 5 free half days in the nursery, we were given a form to fill out last year to claim this. It was my understanding that her fees would reduce from £140 to £70 per week during normal term time. They only went down to £100. Now with the fee increase we are paying £110 during term time and £155 the rest of the time for her.

I questioned this last year and my girlfriend asked the nursey manager about it. She told me today that when she asked, the manger simply dismissed her and said "thats how they work it out".

Before I go in and have a word with the manager, can someone please clarify this for me? The nursey clearly states their fees are:
£155 for a 5 day week
£77.50 for 5 half days (9am-1:30pm or 1pm to 5:30pm)
£31 per full day
£15.50 per half day

So my £40 per week discount only works out to £8 per day which is almost half the price of a half day so in fact Im only getting 5 free quarter days... :confused:

Comments

• mark13
    mark13 Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I dont have an answer, but nursery fees, child tax credit and child care vouchers are very complicated, when they should be simple. , good luck working yours out, we are still trying to work ours out.
    Win Dec 2009 - In the Night Garden DVD : Nov 2010 - Paultons Park Tickets :
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    Options
    3 and 4 years olds are entitled to 5 x 2 1/2 per week for 39 weeks per year. If you choose to send your child to a private nursery where the hours extend beyond 2 1/2 per session then you are required to pay the difference.

The government only fund so much - and pass this on to the private nursery. You have no issue with the nursery.
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    The government fund 5 x 2.5 hour sessions (not half days) and its capped amount as well - the deduction sounds correct of £40 a week.

The sessions you indicate in your post are far longer than a preschool session so the funding obviously wont cover a huge chunk of the bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure