Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Euro Car Parks

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
10 replies 3K views
Jasonb83Jasonb83 Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well. I have a bit of a dilema which I hope you good people can advise me with.

I was silly enough to get numerous car park tickets, now, I decided to pay them all to save hassle. I went online, typed in my reg number and it showed me all the tickets that were needed to be paid.

I wrote out all the cheques to the amounts showing online, ranging from £15 to £35 and posted them off. After a while, the cheques were cashed and the status online showed the ticket as paid.

In my mind, that was the end of it. We then recieved some letters saying we owed more money then we had paid. I ignored these as I knew I had paid.

After that one letter we didn't here anything for a while, then we suddenly get loads of letters from a collection company demanding £1526.25. Must have about 15 of them!

What should I do here? I have screen shots of them showing paid online. Any help would really be apprciated as my mum is getting quite stressed out as this.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Replies

• edited 27 May 2009 at 10:28PM
    asbokidasbokid
    2K Posts
    edited 27 May 2009 at 10:28PM
    now the parasites know you're good for sucking some more... you didn't legally have to pay the vultures anything.. but now you've started, they're going to come back for more, and more.. like the mosquito in the bedroom.. it never tires of gorging on our blood.. there are some experts on here who will chastise you for coughing up, but, nevertheless, they will conjure some good advice... so stay tuned..
  • Jasonb83Jasonb83 Forumite
    3 Posts
    asbokid wrote: »
    now the parasites know you're good for sucking some more... you didn't legally have to pay the vultures anything.. but now you've started, they're going to come back for more, and more.. like the mosquito in the bedroom.. it never tires of gorging on our blood.. there are some experts on here who will chastise you for coughing up, but, nevertheless, they will conjure some good advice... so stay tuned..

Damn my mother, I told her, I had read on here that you didn't have to pay. But you know what mothers can be like, worry worry worry so I just paid to make her happy. I thought it was settled as online showed as paid.

The events went like this

Got ticket - went online, saw how much I owed, sent cheque - checked online, tickets showed as paid - recieved letter from collection agency! Not even any warnings.
  • bargepolebargepole Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jasonb83 wrote: »

I was silly enough to ... pay them all
    That says it all, really.

I can just imagine the PPC gorillas in their portakabin, rolling on the floor while they point at your name, saying "Hey, we've got a grade A mug here - let's send him some debt collection letters, he's probably daft enough to pay those as well!"

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 51, lost 13), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Jasonb83 wrote: »
    Damn my mother, I told her, I had read on here that you didn't have to pay. But you know what mothers can be like, worry worry worry so I just paid to make her happy. I thought it was settled as online showed as paid. The events went like this Got ticket - went online, saw how much I owed, sent cheque - checked online, tickets showed as paid - recieved letter from collection agency! Not even any warnings.

Now there's an idea for an e-commerce site! From the proceeds, I could retire in a couple of years (aged 23, ahem!)

I shouldn't ask, but how much have you paid these gangsters? A very rough figure, if you want to say at all...keep it vague...walls have ears, as they say...
  • Jasonb83Jasonb83 Forumite
    3 Posts
    asbokid wrote: »
    Now there's an idea for an e-commerce site! From the proceeds, I could retire in a couple of years (aged 23, ahem!)

I shouldn't ask, but how much have you paid these gangsters? A very rough figure, if you want to say at all...keep it vague...walls have ears, as they say...

Between £700 and £1000 over a year or so.

Can I just ignore them from now on?
  • CrabmanCrabman Forumite, Board Guide
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Board Guide Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jasonb83 wrote: »
    Between £700 and £1000 over a year or so.

Can I just ignore them from now on?
    You paid them how much? :eek: _pale_ :wall:

Unless you have money to burn (in which case you should consider donating to a worthy cause/charity instead of giving it to these scumbags) - yes - you can ignore them from now on.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    PPC tickets - yes. what date was on the debt collector letter ? was it after you paid ? If so the report them for Fraud. And stop paying PPC invoices. WHo is the dCA and who is the PPC ? often they are one and the same company, if thats true in this case then a complaint of Fraud will have even more weight.
  • edited 28 May 2009 at 11:15AM
    Alx*27Alx*27 Forumite
    128 Posts
    edited 28 May 2009 at 11:15AM
    Here's what you should have done from the start:
    • do not pay
    • do not contact them
    • ignore their threatening junkmail
    • ignore the threatening junkmail from their powerless debt collectors (they are NOT bailiffs)
    • they will give up and go away

This is a mail scam. All you have is an unenforceable invoice - private companies have no powers to fine people, only recoup actual losses. They have not lost £xx - this is an unenforceable penalty charge.

Because you fell for the scam they're trying to extract more money from you. I would really consider researching about these private parking companies and getting your head around the con.

Then go and see a solicitor and take Euro Car Parks to small claims court to get back your original £1000.
  • CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Responding to post number 8 would give the information required to see if criminal charges should be brought against them.
  • Alx*27 wrote: »
    Then go and see a solicitor and take Euro Car Parks to small claims court to get back your original £1000.

ECP are the rogues who "manage" Tesco car parks?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals